We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4.5 days- need help planning itinerary!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4.5 days- need help planning itinerary!

Hello- My husband and I are coming for a short visit to Ireland after visiting Scotland. I am finding myself hitting a wall in my itinerary planning and am desperate for some help! I am wary of underestimating drive time and would like to see a few sights but not spend the entire time in the car. I have visited Southern Ireland before so I am passing on those sites- Dingle, Cork, Kinsale, Rock of Chashel, ect- and want to focus more on N Ireland and NW. (I am goign to post this on the N.Ireland forum as well.)

We start Wed in Belfast and need to end up Sat evening in Dublin. Please help filling in the gaps!

Arrival- May 2 around 4pm (Edinburgh to Belfast City) - bus into Belfast - Black Cab tour and dinner - stay Belfast.

May 3- Drive from Belfast to Portrush via coastal road and see sites- Giant's causway, Rope bridge, Dunluce Castle, Bushmills.

Spend night in Portrush or surrounding area

May 4- Considering Donegal and area ( see Sleige Leagues, costal towns, ect) then ...?

May 5- No day plans, would like to be in Dublin by Saturday afternoon.

May 6- Tour Dublin

May 7- depart for the states

Please let me know if I am completly off base and help fill in the gaps.

Thank you!

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4.5 days- need help planning itinerary!

The route planner on www.aaroadwatch.ie will be helpful in planning your journey,it will give approx times & distances.

Belfast is a fantastic city,enjoy & Edinburgh is amazing,try & visit the Royal Yacht if you have time www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4.5 days- need help planning itinerary!

One point which may upset your plans - you appear to be picking up a car in Belfast and then dropping off in Dublin before heading back to the US. This may be very costly as it is not normally possible to hire a car in one jurisdiction (UK in the case of Belfast) and then drop off in another (Republic of Ireland in the case of Dublin). The car hire company may well accommodate such a plan, but may charge a signficant repatriation fee to have your car returned from Dublin to Belfast.

You could get around this by flying into Dublin, picking up a car and heading off to Belfast (about 2.5 hours by road). However, you would then have to defer your black taxi tour until day 2.

For a quick 1-2 day visit to Donegal, I'd suggest staying over in the Ardara or Glenties area of west Donegal and visiting Derry and Glenveagh National Park on the way from Portrush on the Friday

On the Saturday, I'd head west to Slieve League for an early morning visit before heading to Dublin via Sligo in the afternoon.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 21:21
3. Re: 4.5 days- need help planning itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 10:25