We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Ireland first-timer

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Another Ireland first-timer

we are planning a week in Ireland for next spring (probably early May 2013) and need help with an intinerary.

We will fly into Dublin, spend 2 days then hire a car to round the countryside of the Killarney/Cork and Blarney areas (we will probably spend 4 days in that endeavor) then back to Dublin for a night before we fly over to Edinburgh.

What are some must sees? What's to do in Dublin besides pubs (i know lots but I just don't know WHAT)? We're not drinkers so pub crawl probably won't be on our list. We don't care to shop much (altho a bit of Irish linen might be nice) either.

We are open to any suggestion.

TIA :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,597 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Ireland first-timer

I would recommend investing in a guide book to get some ideas. Without knowing your specific interests it's hard to give advice.

Another option is to look over the "things to do" link for Dublin here on Tripadvisor:

tripadvisor.com/…TtD

Also, do a search for "trip reports" on the forum and see what other visitors have enjoyed.

There is much more to Dublin than going to pubs.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Ireland first-timer

The Top Questions on Ireland to the right of this page will help you make a start.

I also suggest you have a look over some other posts that are related to your query on the Ireland forum.

The route planner on www.aaroadwatch.ie is very helpful,it will give approx times & distances for your journey.

Be realsitic with what you will be able to see & do in the time that you have to spend here.You don't want to "see" Ireland from your car !!!!

When you have more specific questions,TA members will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Edinburgh is a fab city,you will enjoy !

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Ireland first-timer

You could fly into Shannon on the west cost and be much nearer to Killarney/Cork. Limerick which is about 15mls from Shannon holds a week end festival in early May which would be May 3 - 6 in 2013, www.riverfest.ie

After resting up for the night you could meander your way to Killarney, approx 60mls. You could then either return the car to Shannon and take the train or bus from Limerick to Dublin, or return the car in Dublin, have your few days in Dublin and fly on to Endinburgh.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Ireland first-timer

If you are starting in Dublin I see little point going back for a flight to Edinburgh which you could get from Shannon or Cork.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Ireland first-timer

I'd agree with either suggestion from Lightblue7 and tony2phones - they both make sense, which ever you choose.

As regards what to see in Dublin - well, I always recommend the HoHo bus, its what I do on the first day that I visit any new city. It gives you a flavour of the city, a bit of the history, and then you can decide what you would like to go back and see more of.

6. Re: Another Ireland first-timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:41