We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

S T
Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Topic
My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

Hello Ireland Forum,

I am planning a whirlwind honeymoon trip to Europe for this coming April.

This trip includes only 3 days to visit the birthplace of my grandparents who are from County Cork.

We have lot's of energy and lot's to see in 3 days.

I've read about the top things to do in Ireland and thanks to the members of this forum for their contributions.

Here is my proposed itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin, rent a car and check into hotel. Take hop on and off tour and visit Trinity College.

Day 2: Leave early AM and drive to Glendalough, Waterford and stay the evening in Cork

Day 3: Another early AM drive to Cashel, Cliffs of Moher and spend the night in Shannon.

Day 4: With a tear in our Irish eyes fly out of Shannon airport.

I realize that this plan is aggressive, but we have so much to see and so little time to spend.

Your feedback is most welcome and I thank you in advance.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

Have you had a look at the route planner on www.aaroadwatch.ie ? It will give you approx times & distances for your journey.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

It's doable.

I'm not sure you'll get much time to do anything beyond overnight in Cork. Do you know where in the county your grandparents are from?

Barring the family connection, I'd say your itinerary would see you better off staying in Waterford and heading straight to Cashel.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

Where are you staying in Dublin? I can see from your itinerary that it would not make sense to advise leaving the car rental until you are ready to leave, it would waste time. Considering you will have the car and will want to make a quick get away the following morning, would you consider staying outside the city centre and commuting into the centre? Malahide, Dun Laoghaire and Dundrum all have easy access on and off the M50 when you are coming from the airport and also for when you are heading south. Malahide and Dun Laoghaire are on the Dart train line and Dundrum is on the Luas.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

Lollymcd's idea about staying outside city centre makes perfect sense - avoid the hassle of driving in Dublin city and trying to get parking if your hotel does not provide it.

In my opinion, Malahide would be your best option - only 15/20 minutes from Dublin airport, both of which are on the north side of the city, and then you have the option of bus(45/55 minutes) or train(20/25 minutes) transport (about €2.40 each way) into the city centre, where you can pick up the HoHo bus. DunLaoghaire & Dundrum are further away and on the south side of the city, and will take considerably longer to get to. And Malahide would be a lovely location to spend your first evening - nice restaurants and a few pubs, with a beautiful two mile coastal walk to Portmarnock.

Also, Malahide would be very convenient for Day 2 of your itinerary, as it will only take you about 20 minutes to get to the M50 to bring you down to Glendalough. By the way, there is a toll section on the M50, which will cost you €3 - there are no toll booths, you have to buy a token - your hotel will tell you where you can get one.

S T
Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

Thanks very much to all of you for your responses and great information.

As for our arrival on Day 1 in Dublin, I have reserved a car to be picked up at the airport. We are staying that first night at the Academy Plaza in Dublin. The hotel is already booked and paid for. Now, I'm concerned, because I don't know if they have overnight parking at this hotel?

Thanks for the info on the toll road, we'll have to plan for that and also look at the route planner as suggested.

As for the overnight in Cork, we are flexible but definately want to visit the city of Cork on Night #2. My grandparents are from Skibbereen and we plan to also visit there.

Thank you all again for your help!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

You'll have to check with your hotel about parking, I don't think the hotel has it's own car park but I could be wrong! If not don't worry, there's a large pay car park facing the hotel. Vechicle entrance on Sean McDermott St, pedestrian access on Marlbourgh St.

Clery's Car Park q-park.ie/tabid/…Default.aspx

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

If you plan to go to Skibbereen would strongly suggest that you take a look at a map. There is little chance that you will get to fit everything in in just three days.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

Skibbereen does make the itinerary a lot more challenging. Even in light traffic it is an hour beyond Cork and realistically you have to allow 75-90 minutes and then repeat that on your way back.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

Just found this info on the Academy Plaza website -

"Car Parking: The centre of Dublin is best explored on foot but a car is a great way to get off the beaten track. Parking for guests staying at the Academy Plaza is available directly beside the hotel in our partner car park, the Findlater Car Park.

Here, hotel guests are offered rates of;

€1 per hour

€5 per 12-hours

€10 per 24-hours

Open access to the car park available from 8.00am – 8.00pm, with access available for guests via the hotel outside of these hours."

www.academyplazahotel.ie/location/directions/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My 3 day itinerary Ireland - Feedback is most welcome!

Good work fenlaDublin, I googled it and it appears to be directly under the hotel? Handy.