We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Day self drive rough itinerary

Metamora, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
10 Day self drive rough itinerary

Hi, coming to Ireland July 1, 2012. There will be 6 of us, Grandpa (72) Dad (48) Mom Sill claiming to be 29 and 3 teen age girls, 14 to 16. Grandpa wants to see Ghoul and anything O'Malley. Dad wants to leave with money still in wallet. Mom wants to see old churchs, ect...,

Teens think Blasket Island, Clare Island, Dingle, Cliffs, Book of Kells.

So many things to do and see but only 10 Days. Would love any advice you could give!! Thank you

July 1 arrive Dublin in Morning, stay at hotel in Dublin, spend day touring Dublin

July 2 take train to Belfast, spend 2 nights at hotel in Belfast, see titanic, Black cab tour, giants causeway

July 4 train back to Dublin, get rental car, head to Waterford, spend night at B&B near Waterford

July 5 go from Waterford to (not sure if we should go all the way to Dingle) tour stop see sights Stay night in Kilarney or go to Dingle

July 6 Ring of Kerry, Stay night at Pax in Dingle

Jul;y 7 Tour Dingle Pen. Blasket Island, Stay at Pax

July 8 Slea Island, cliffs of Moher, Spiddel Craft Village, spend night ? (Where)

July 9, Clare Island, knock head toward Dublin. Would like to stay outside Dublin so we only have a hour or so drive to Dublin in Morning

July 10 Tour Dublin,Return rental car. Spend night in hotel.

July 11 Breakfast then head home

Is there any must sees we are missing, anything we should skip?? sugestions on where to stay?? Thank you I would love some feedback so I can start to finalize, The only thing written in stone is the plane tickets. Thank you

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

Is the a particular reason you want to go to Waterford, it will add a lot to your travel time. The Ring of Kerry is a very long day to even half see it properly.I'd suggest you stay in Killarney the night before and the night you get back and then go to Dingle very early the next day.

The trip to the Great Blasket will be very weather depdendent. The island is quite small, there are no pubs, shops or even houses to shelter in if is west.

Not sure what you mean by Slea island- should that read Slea head- if so, this is the Dingle Penninsula and you drive a lot of that Slea head drive if you are going to the Blaskets.

Cliffs of Moher are also very weather -dependent, if it is wet or foggy don't bother.

Spiddel craft village would be out of your way if you are going from the cliffs of Moher to Westport to get to Clare island.To be honest, it's not worth a detour. Is Clare island because of Grace O' Malley?If so I suggest you visit Rockfleet castle in nearby Newport on the mainland to see her castle there and also when you are in Dublin that you check to see if Howth castle is open-see their website for the legend of the kidnapped heir

http://www.howthcastle.ie/

Shaun Davey's Granuaile suite is a wonderful cd to buy if you want more Gráinne Mhaol stuff.

www.taramusic.com/sleevenotes/cd3017.htm

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

I'd agree with HarveyIreland - the Spiddal Craft Village would not be worth the effort. Don't waste your time on it.

As regards July 9 - Clare Island - have you checked out the ferry timetables, to ensure that you will have enough time to do everything on that day. For example, this ferry company - omalleyferries.com/timetableandfares.html, deaprt at 11AM and then you have only two return ferries at 1PM and 5PM. If you opt to come back on the 1PM ferry, it might not give you enough time on the island, if you opt for the 5PM ferry, you might not have enough time to do whatever else you have planned for that day - if I am reading it correctly that you intend to visit Knock and then on towards Dublin

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

@ July 4 - Take the bus from Belfast to Dublin Airport & pick up your car there.

@ July 9 - If you're going to Clare Island, then you should spend the night of July 8 somewhere near Westport.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

I'm going to turn this itinerary around somewhat and suggest this instead:

Days 1-3 : ok

Day 4

By the time you've travelled back from Belfast and collected your car, half the day will be over. I like trintraveler's suggestion of taking the bus direct to Dublin airport, and renting the car there.

Suggest you head to Westport (just over 260km, approx. 4-4.5hrs drive)

Day 5

Head via Louisburg to Roonagh Quay to visit Clare Island. If you have time, stop in Louisburg here:

www.clewbaytrail.com/show.php?SitesID=12

Be sure to visit the Abbey on Clare Island to see some unique wall paintings. The Abbey is locked, but if you check at the little post office nearby, someone should be able to direct you to the key-holder. When we visited, it was held by the man who lived in the "white cottage" (see photos below) closeby:

www.clewbaytrail.com/show.php?SitesID=18

My pictures of Clare Island; it's a very quiet, untouristy place:

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Return to Westport for 2nd night.

Day 6

I think it's too far to drive from Westport to Dingle in a day, so suggest you drive down to co. Clare, explore the Burren and visit the Cliffs of Moher if the weather is clear, and stay nearby. If you're interested in churches, this beautiful ruined abbey is worth the short detour inland at Bellharbour:

http://www.burrenpage.com/Corcomroe.html

and here are some of my favourite places in the Burren:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Consider staying in Ballyvaughan (bit of a back-track from the Cliffs, unless you visit the Cliffs on your way to Dingle the following day), or Doolin or Lahinch:

http://www.ballyvaughanireland.com/

http://www.doolin-tourism.com/

http://www.lahinchfailte.com/

Day 7

Continue to Dingle for 2-night stay. It will take around 3.5-4hrs to reach Dingle town and this is a pleasant scenic route:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21401-Ballyv…

So you could spend the afternoon exploring the town, doing some shopping. Lots of nice shops to tempt you all. If you were planning on visiting Waterford to see the crystal factory, you can visit Sean on Green Street instead; he's "Waterford trained":

http://www.dinglecrystal.ie/

Some of my favourite shops, places to eat:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19068-Best_o…

The girls might want to visit the Aquarium:

http://www.dingle-oceanworld.ie/index.html

Day 8

As Harvey has already mentioned, Blasket is very much weather dependent. These guys are great:

http://www.blasketisland.com/index.html

Take water/food supplies with you, as there's nothing on the Island at all:

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Day 9

If you want a further day in Dublin, then it will be time to pack up and head back to the City. You could break your journey en-route here:

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Or, forget about another day in Dublin and drive around the Ring of Kerry, staying in Killarney for the night:

ringofkerrytourism.com/ring-of-kerry-attract…

www.stonepages.com/ireland/staigue.html

http://www.skelligschocolate.com/

then drive back to Dublin Day 10, again, stopping in Cashel if it interests you.

You can use this web-site to plan your journeys, but add further 20% to those quoted drive-times to allow for possible delays and driving on unfamiliar roads:

www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/Search.aspx

:-)

Metamora, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

Thank you! Think we will skip Waterford. Do you have any suggestions on where we should stay in Killarney?

Thank you again

Margie

Metamora, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

Thank you, I didn't think about ferry times. Thank you

Metamora, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

Wow! Thank you I am taking your advice and staying in Westport. We are planing our route and will be following your advice. Do you have any advice on b & b's would like to be able to walk to dinner and some shopping. Thank you again for all your advice and for sharing all the great pictures and web sites.

Margie D

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

@ Margie D

Apologies: not any help with recommendations for b&bs in Westport. We rented a house near Roonagh Quay when we visited co. Mayo.

Have a look at the reviews here on Tripadvisor, see if anything catches your eye:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186627-c2-Westport…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Day self drive rough itinerary

McCarthys is right in the centre of town

http://www.mccarthyslodge.com/

Metamora, Michigan
Level Contributor