We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

I bought tickets through kayak for an aer lingual flight from DC to Ireland and was charged a nearly $50 foreign transaction fee by my credit card company. Has anyone else encountered this?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

I have not. I used cheaptickets.com for my purchase.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

This charge is down to your credit card company. Different companies charge different rates. I would consider changing your company before you come over if you plan on using your card over here.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

Aer Lingus sells tickets in US dollars, on its US website. There should be nothing "foreign" about the transaction.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,952 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me about a year ago. I sought clarification from travel consumer expert, Christopher Elliott, who explained to me that this occurred as a result of the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009. The following article from Elliott should give you some useful information: elliott.org/blog/…

Also, here is a small entry on Aer Lingus' website:

Foreign Transaction Fee

Some financial institutions may impose their own "Foreign Transaction Fee" to online purchases. This is not an Aer Lingus fee and we suggest you consult your individual credit card company for their policy.

So, it is your credit card company that is responsible for this fee, not Aer Lingus or Kayak. You will need to take it up with them, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

this is exactly why we procured a cc prior to our Italy trip last year that does NOT charge foreign transaction fees. We have Capitalone. You might check it out before you travel...those fees add up!

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

I recently purchased 3 tickets through the Aer Lingus website and Bank of America charged me over $100. We'll be making other plans for when we arrive, obviously.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

I am a long term happy customer of Capital One. I have found them to be exceptional in all of my dealings with them. They also the World MC which you can use to waive the CDW if you're so inclined when renting a car in Ireland.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

Yes, it just happened to me and it is very upsetting! I booked a trip (6 airline tickets from USA to Europe, to be exact) VIA TRAVELOCITY.COM.

After reviewing my credit card statement online I found out I was charged $180 foreign transaction fee! I am very upset. I spent several hours talking on the phone with bank and traveloity. And to be honest, I am UNGRY WITH TRAVELOCITY as my assumption is that they are US based and my prices were in us dollars. The credit card statement showed this transaction based from ABU DHABI!!!!! Therefore my bank automatically charged my the fee. There was no notice on travelocity when I was booking a trip about this and if I knew this I would not book this trip throu them or I would use a different cc.

I HATE TRAVELOCITY and will never use thehm again. All the representatives I spoke to were not speaking English, I mean they had a horrible accent and it was very difficult to understand them. VERY DISAPOINTED BY ALL THIS. Is there anyone who feels the same? I mean, trevelocity should take my money in US dollars and then pay the airlines!!!!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

I second the "upvote" for Capitol One Venture card....no foreign transaction fees. Also, if you open a Schwab checking account, their Debit card refunds all ATM fees you might be levied by foreign bank ATMs.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Foreign Transaction Fee for Airline Tickets?

I stopped using Travelocity a while back when everytime I try to book a flight the price would go up during the transaction.