We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Far to Drive on the 1st Day

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
How Far to Drive on the 1st Day

This question has been prompted by an answer on another forum..

"If your nightly stops is set as is, I would head north first... get as much driving out that first day as possible since you can't get into a hotel/B&B right away -- plus if you force yourself to stay up, I think you'll adjust to the time change much easier. Why Donegal? Don't get me wrong, I like it and have visited several times but it is a lot of driving for just a few nights. If you have specific reasons then that makes sense but if someone told you to do it... perhaps you might want to skip it this trip.

Read more: frommers.com/community/…ixzz1pHZwR6DV

Personally if someone is coming in on a Red Eye I would say no more than 200 motorway miles or 100 general road miles. Even those distances would be pushing it!!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Far to Drive on the 1st Day

Good advice, Tony, and I agree that those distances would indeed be pushing it. Personally, I don't like to drive any more than an hour on "the wrong side" after landing - even if the flight is relatively short like Spain or Portugal

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Far to Drive on the 1st Day

I had the experience going over to America last year. We arrived in Chicago and picked up our hire car around 4pm (10pm Irish time) and pushed south into Indiana for four hours.

I'd never do so long again. Only for the fact that the first night's acommodation was booked (because you have to now under the ESTA programme), we'd have pulled up and stopped long ago.

Now, I'm saying that was too much after long-haul and that's taking into account the following

- All but the last miles were on good quality InterStates

- I lived in Holland for 8 years, so I have no difficulty driving on the right

- I had a companion in the car to keep me awake and share the driving

- The flight was daytime and not a redeye

So, if that much driving is too much with all those positive factors, people should really think before driving any real distance without them.

Come to think of it, when we returned, we got off the redeye in Dublin and drove to Cork. Despite a second driver and driving on the left side of the road in our own country, we still had to stop in Cashel for a half hour break.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 13:10
Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Far to Drive on the 1st Day

Thanks - this thread is a good summation of info I gleaned from many threads here while planning our trip for this June. Our first two days will be car-less in Dublin, and on day 3 we're limiting how far we drive until we get acclimated. It's so easy to be overly ambitious when setting an itinerary, and I'm very grateful for the wisdom here that helped keep ours sensible (for us, anyway - others are more adventurous, to be sure).

My husband will be doing all of the driving, so I'll do my best in my role as Mrs. Magellan .

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Far to Drive on the 1st Day

I think 200 miles on motorway, after a 'red eye', is probably too much, for the simple reason, I think it would be easier to go into a short sleep (from my own experience), because there are not enough distractions, such as gear changing, having to slow down, waiting ages to overtake, going through towns/villages, all of which you have on the non motorway roads, and which keep you alert. Better to arrive at your destination, a day later, than not at all. I saw a road safety sign while driving in New Zealand, which has always stayed in my mind - "What's your hurry, you'll be dead for long enough"

5. Re: How Far to Drive on the 1st Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:40