We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

Woodbridge
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

I am traveling with my 22 year old son. We don't have huge Ambitions--Just to tour the country--Mid-May. Any Advice -you could offer would be great. I read about Doolin and it seemed a bit off the beaten path and a fun place to stay a few days. We would love the Kayak tour.

Day 1: Arrive early at Dublin airport. Sightsee in Dublin.

Stay at some fun local place

Day 2: Spend morning in Dublin and off to Kilkenny (overnight in Kilkenny)

Day 3: Leave Kilkenny, visit Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle

Day 4: (Kilarnney or Limerick??)

Day 5: Travel to Doolin. Site seeing Cliffs. Overnight in Doolin

Day 6: Kayaking Trip. Overnight in Doolin

Day 7: Connemara drive. Stay overnight in Galway.

Day 8: Galway to Dublin -afternoon flight (not certain if we need to go to Galaway or insert another day after Day 4 and travel to Dublin from Doolin or 2 nights in Dublin)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

I am not going to comment too much as I am not local to the west, but your plans seem very doable, though I wouldn't say Doolin was really off the beaten path!

I think most people would suggest that your plans need to be a bit flexible for weather. The Cliffs of Moher might well be shrouded in mist or the sea too rough to do kayaking on the day you intend, so you might want to go prepared to watch the weather forecasts and adjust accordingly.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

Doolin is extremely touristy, certainly nowhere off any path. Apart from the excellent chocolate shop, I don't see it as a place I'd choose to revisit.I agree with Doneraile re cloudy days and the cliffs.

I would also suggest you stay closer to Dublin on your last night or what about flying into Dublin and out of Shannon?It would make more sense .

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

Good advice from Doneraile about the weather. We were in County Clare last May and the Cliffs of Moher were socked in by fog for a couple days. Should your plans get derailed by fog, consider spending some time in the Burren. There's amazing scenery, ancient sites such as wedge tombs and ring forts, and good hiking.

I would definitely spend Day 4 in Killarney National Park. Tour Muckross House, go to Torc Waterfall and do one of the hikes in the area. We hiked around Muckross Lake (about 10 km) and it was very nice. The tourist information office in Killarney is full of helpful people with useful advice.

As you travel from Killarney toward Doolin, you can take the Tarbert Ferry which will put you close to Kilkee and Loop Head. We enjoyed the cliffs in Kilkee because they were easy to reach, spectacular to see and free. Also, I understand that a wall at the Cliffs of Moher keep them from being easily seen. That's no problem at Kilkee--you can take the cliff walk as far as you like and there's no obstructions. There's also few crowds. We saw only 3 moms with their strollers on our May visit. Unfortunately, by the time we got to Loop Head, the fog had rolled in, so we didn't get to see as much. But I've heard the cliffs there are spectacular too.

I'm not a big fan of Doolin, but it may make some sense to stay there if you want to do a kayak tour (which sounds really cool). Just be aware that is is not at all off the beaten track since it's well-known for it's traditional music. The pubs were jam-packed last year during our visit and at least one of them was full of tourists bussed in from elsewhere.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

Sounds painful and from personal experience not the best place to visit if you want an adventure holdiay. You might be better off on Achill Island or Sligo and Donegal for sea adventure and plenty of surf. Doolin is best noted for drunkards and cheap musicians.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 12:37
Woodbridge
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

Your Replies are helpful, and I am trying to finalize this trip:

How does this seem:

2-days (one night) in Dublin

Travel to Kilkenny (Rock of Cashel, etc) (overnight in Kilkenny)

Travel to Killarney (2 nights in Killarney)--Park/Castle etc.

Early morning Drive to Dingle

Sunset Kayak tour of Dingle Harbor

Overnight in Dingle

Drive Back to Dublin--perhaps overnight in Malahide-

Day in Dublin (flight out in afternoon)

6. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 April 2012, 09:13
Edited: 22 April 2012, 09:13
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

That Itinerary looks fine and not at all rushed (apart from Dingle to Dublin going back) Rock of Cashel after Kilkenny obviously.

Cavan makes a good point for your next visit perhaps above Galway into the North West. he is though slightly confused about county Clare just as I am about part of Kerry.

Excuse a moment

"Doolin is extremely touristy, certainly nowhere off any path."

"The pubs were jam-packed last year during our visit and at least one of them was full of tourists bussed in from elsewhere. "

Are These comments about Doolin or Dingle or Both?

Edited: 22 April 2012, 09:20
Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

One note: the drive from Dingle to the Dublin airport will take approximately six hours if you have one or two brief stops . . . .

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

I drove from Ventry (west of Dingle) to Kinsealy (about 10 minutes from Malahide) last week. Drive time was 4 hours 40 minutes without stops.

My daughter did the sea kayak trip in Dingle last year and greatly enjoyed it.

Mid-May is the perfect time to visit Dingle. It is not at all crowded and the restaurants are buzzy but not too busy

10. Re: Yet Another American wanting 8 Quality Days in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:42