We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

Ithaca, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are planning to visit Ireland from May 24 - May 31 (we're flying in to the Shannon airport) and were wondering if we could get some feedback on our itinerary. There's a lot we want to see and do, but we sadly are not old enough to rent a car (or to merit much vacation time from our employers). Here's our plan:

Day 1

Go to Ennis (Fleadh Nua festival)

Day 2

Go on a bus tour to The Burren (leaving from either Ennis or Galway)

End the day in Galway

Day 3

Go on a bus tour to Connemarra in the morning/afternoon

Take a train to Dublin

Day 4

Go on a bus tour to Newgrange/Hill of Tara in the morning/afternoon

Train/bus to Trallee

Stay at Ballyseede Castle

Day 5

Train/bus/taxi to Portmagee (sight-see in Killarney along the way)

Day 6

Skellig Michael

Travel to Dingle

Day 7

Bike Slea Head

Day 8

Dingle in the morning

Head back to somewhere near Shannon

Thanks for your help!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

Answers below prefixed by ####

Day 1

Go to Ennis (Fleadh Nua festival)

#### Fine, but how will you get to Ennis? Others (from Clare) on this site can help you there.

The Fleadh will be an interesting (in a good way!) introduction to Ireland.

Day 2

Go on a bus tour to The Burren (leaving from either Ennis or Galway)

#### Yes, great idea but it would be best you do this from Ennis as Ennis is where you will be on this day. Have you investigated Burren trips from Ennis yet? If not, you need to do that now. Alternatively others on this site may have ideas for you.

End the day in Galway

#### Hopefully.

Day 3

Go on a bus tour to Connemarra in the morning/afternoon

#### This will be doable from Galway and it is a great idea. Connemara is an absolute MUST SEE when you are in Galway. I bet you will want to come back after this trip when you are in a position to rent a car and see it in more detail. For the moment, a bus tour would be great.

Take a train to Dublin

#### Yes, doable right from Galway city. Or be aware that if you are on a budget, there is a bus service which takes one hour longer but can be half the price of the train. My recommendation is to get the earliest train/bus possible so that you can maximise your time in Dubln.

Day 4

Go on a bus tour to Newgrange/Hill of Tara in the morning/afternoon

#### This is great, but no time for you to explore much of historic Dublin city itself. Does that suit you. I would have thought that first timers to Dublin would want to tour the city itself?? There are plenty of ways of doing this, walking tours, HOHO bus. However if Newgrange is your focus, then you will not have any trouble getting a tour from Dublin city.

Train/bus to Trallee

#### Yes, you can get a train (or bus) to Tralee though I believe if you take the bus, you may have to change to another at Cork city, so Train may be best for you in this case.

Stay at Ballyseede Castle

#### I've heard of it, but don't know where it is. Have you investigated how far from Tralee Ballyseede Castle is? Just be aware of possible transfer charges. I imagine they only way to get there from Tralee is by taxi.

Day 5

Train/bus/taxi to Portmagee (sight-see in Killarney along the way)

#### There is no train or bus to Portmagee. The nearest town Cahirsiveen is serviced by a bus from Killarney I believe. So you will get a bus from Tralee to Killarney and then onwards to Cahersiveen.

You will then have to take a taxi from Cahersiveen to Portmagee (10 miles). But don't worry there are a number of taxi companies in Cahersiveen who will look after you.

You could stay in Cahersiveen and take a ferry from there to Skellig Michael. This would probably be a better option for you. Portmagee is a lovely little village but Cahersiveen is better in your circumstances (no car).

Day 6

Skellig Michael

#### You can do this from Portmagee or Cahersiveen. (When you have made a final decision on this come back to me and I will give you some more info on how best to achieve your trip to Skellig)

Travel to Dingle

#### This will mean a bus back to Killarney and then onwards to Dingle. While the distance is not huge, the trip by public transport could be quite long depending on how the bus times go between Cahersiveen, Killarney, and Dingle.

Day 7

Bike Slea Head

Great idea. There are a number of bike rental shops in Dingle, and that cycle is very achievable in a day or less. I presume you are fit enough to spend 6-7 hours in the saddle (with breaks) It's approx 36Km (23 miles) to cycle from Dingle via the Slea Head and back to Dingle. A beautiful trip - if the weather is good for you. Be sure and pack a picnic. There are hundreds of scenic spots on the Slea Head for you to stop at and admire the view while you munch!!

Day 8

Dingle in the morning

#### You mean you have the morning in Dingle and then you must return to Shannon in the PM? If that is the case you will need to make your way back to Killarney, and then get a train to Limerick and from Limerick a taxi (or bus) to Shannon Airport.

Head back to somewhere near Shannon

#### Best place really is at Shannon Airport itself, depending on your flight time next day. There are a number of hotels at the airport complex. Alternatively you could overnight in Limerick city and then get a bus to the airport next day, but once again this all depends on your flight times.

Enjoy the planning, others will offer suggestions also, and i do think you have a little more investigation to work through before your trip is finalised.

For bus schedules - www.buseireann.ie Bus Eireann is the national bus carrier.

For train schedules - www.irishrail.ie

If you have trouble reading the schedules or indeed finding a schedule, come back.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

There is no public transport service between Killarney and Dingle, so you will have to travel via Tralee.

Ballyseede Castle is a fair distance from Tralee centre. You might need to re-think this

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

No problem getting the Bus from Shannon to Ennis,(have you sorted your accommodation?)

Barrat Tours do the Cliffs and Burren from Ennis

https:/…

Depending on your accommodation I might be tempted to stay in Ennis and get an early Bus/Train to Galway for a trip with O'Neachtain on the Connemara.

galway.net/pages/…connemara.shtml

Spend the night in Galway and get an early train or one of the express bus's to Dublin

After that I think you are running a tight schedule using public transport.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

@ Day 8 - I don't know if it is still there, but there used to be a hostel in Limerick, that wasn't far from the bus station, where you could catch the bus to Shannon Airport on the day of your flight.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

I think you are going to struggle to fit Dingle in by public transport,

Day 6 - Skellig Michael then travel to Dingle, difficult I think.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

Physed, this might interest you for the Galway portion of your trip:

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k533411…

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

See response # 22 here, describing how these US visitors got around Galway, Clare and Kerry using a combination of local buses and hackneys (pre-arranged taxi s offering a pre-agreed fixed price for a journey):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186612-i487-k4583…

Ithaca, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help. We have decided to not stay in Ballyseede and instead spend some extra time in Dublin. We are mostly interested in going to Meath, but it seems a little silly to not take advantage of our time in Dublin.

Bryno -- with regards to Skellig Michael -- I was under the impression that the only way to actually land on the island itself was to take a tour from Portmagee, which is why we planned to go there. I think our lives would be much better if we could leave from Cahersiveen instead. Can you give us some more details about how we might be able to do that?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

Yes, you can leave from Cahersiveen, (well, you can stay cahersiveen, but you will be transported from there to Portmagee for the Ferry for no charge if you follow advice of littleengine below)

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186610-i486-k36723…

10. Re: Eight Day Ireland Trip -- Without A Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:15