We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temperature inside pubs

central coast...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Topic
temperature inside pubs

we will be in ireland april 27/may 5 and likely will be at a pub later each night.

Weather should require sweater etc...what about inside the pub?

should i layer lighter clothes for inside?

My daughter told me about "crabbies"...and guinness cold. Not being a real beer or whiskey drinker, any other locals drinks i should try?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: temperature inside pubs

Hi Patty

You could try asking for your Guinness with a dash of Blackcurrant in it.

Bulmers cider as mentioned above is popular - especially the Pear Cider, which really doesn't taste like alcohol at all even though its quite strong!

Most pubs will have a selection of quarter bottles of wine.

Wear a t-shirt or something similar under your layers as pubs can get quite warm in the evenings especially if they are full of people.

Dublin
Level Contributor
168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: temperature inside pubs

Just FYI, Guinness 'Extra Cold' in Britain is very similar to the Guiness 'regular' you'll get in Ireland, i.e. regular Guinness is chilled here. If you really want the traditional-1950s-Irish-Guinness-drinking experience, ask for a bottle of Guiness at room temp (but be warned, it's pretty awful).

If it's a warm day and you're sitting outside, get a pint bottle of Bulmers (apple cider) with a glass of ice, you won't regret it.

Someone else mentioned Smithwicks Ale, but this is definitely an acquired taste. They have recently launched Smithwicks Pale Ale, which is lighter and easier to drink.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: temperature inside pubs

@Sarnia G

I first tasted Coole Swan at, of all places, the Dingle Food Festival last year. They now stock it in Garvey's Supervalu. I have a bottle in the fridge on standby (in case of emergencies), so I'll treat you when you swing by in the sunmmer

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: temperature inside pubs

I think the drinks and temps have been covered, I just wanted to add that a torch = a flashlight. Not that you wouldnt have figured it out, but imagine the scene if you hadn't! ;-)

Ooh, Bulmers Pear. So excited to drink that in less than 20 hours now! Delicious.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: temperature inside pubs

Love Crabbies and we stumbled upon in on our trip in Sept/Oct to Ireland. We found it up in Bushmills (obviously) and through Donegal and even into Galway. Would LOVE to be able to have that in the summer around here, very refreshing - a ginger beer.

central coast...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: temperature inside pubs

great tips....lots to try for a California wine drinker.

thanks to everyone for the great replies

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: temperature inside pubs

Coole Swan - yet another delightful experience to look forward to!

18. Re: temperature inside pubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:43