We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to make calls back to the US Ireland?

Marlborough MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best way to make calls back to the US Ireland?

I will be in Ireland for 2 weeks. From what I have heard it is expensive to use a cell phone for calls. Is a calling card or prepaid phone a less expensive way to call the US?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to make calls back to the US Ireland?

If you have a smartphone (iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, HTC Desire etc.), just sign up to Skype and use free WiFi hotspots. They are quite common around the country now, especially in larger urban areas and I'd guess that about 50% of hotels offer free WiFi.

If that solution doesn't work for you, a prepaid call card is probably the best option, although it will mean paying an up front fee, which is non-refundable if you don't use the credit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to make calls back to the US Ireland?

I use Skype. The plan I have allows me to make unlimited land line/cell phone calls to Canada & The US. I think it's $2.95/month? I think you can cancel it whenever, but I'm not 100% certain.

If the person you're calling has a computer, they can download Skype and you can call for free.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 20:26
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to make calls back to the US Ireland?

Easier yet, purchase a cheap Tesco Mobile Phone in Ireland (Tesco Grocery stores are everywhere) and top off. Calls when we were there last month were € .02 per minute. Worked great.

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to make calls back to the US Ireland?

We just returned from a 3-week trip to Ireland; we purchased a Tesco SIM card for 9.99 Euros, called the US a minimum of once/twice per day, and had spent less than 4 Euros at the end of 3 weeks. It worked everywhere, even in the most remote areas on the Dingle Peninsula. Remember, though, that you need an unlocked GSM phone to use the card. If your phone provider won't unlock your phone, simply purchase the unlock code on eBay -- it costs less than $2.00/$3.00, you receive the code immediately by email, and it is ridiculously simple to do.

The next best solution is to buy an inexpensive cell phone from Tesco. It should cost less than 20 Euros and will be just as cheap to use. Plus, it will come with a charger. If you're buying the Sim card or phone in Dublin, there is a large Tesco in Temple Bar. They were very helpful in helping me set up the phone.

Hope this helps.

Jacksonville via...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to make calls back to the US Ireland?

Here is what I do/did as a frequent traveler to Ireland. This may not be the best option for you but it works for me as I like to be able to use my smart phone but not have to pay expensive roaming data and voice.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon here in the states. I bought the Unlocked GSM version of the same phone directly from Google. I have a sim card from Meteor Ireland that I slip in it and top up as needed.

This way I have access to a smart phone with voice and data and I can also use it as a Data wifi hot spot for my laptop/tablet but it's through Meteor.

If you have a phone in the states that says it's a international pone. Make sue they mean its a unlocked GSM phone that you can put a local sim card in to. Other wise you're in for a shock when you start to get charged $10 a meg for data. Most US mobile phone providers have a international rate plan if there phone works in Europe. However it is simply cheaper to get a local sim card and use there rates.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 18:05
6. Re: What is the best way to make calls back to the US Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:15