We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a question about car hire...

Jacksonville via...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I have a question about car hire...

Funny thing is I can't find anything in the rental information about my question.

Do car hire companies let you take there cars to the UK via the ferries?

I suppose I can call them and confirm was wondering if anyone had hired a car and drove it to the UK via the ferries.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have a question about car hire...

Provided you bring them back!! I use Europecar for Van (commercial) rental as they offer the facility...at a price..

To be honest you would find it cheaper to fly over hire in the UK or if you have a lot of baggage rail and sail can be the cheaper option to get over.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,484 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have a question about car hire...

A lot of companies don't let you bring your car out of Ireland and as Tony said, taking a car on a ferry is expensive.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have a question about car hire...

Assuming that a hire company would facilitate you in principle by allowing you to take a car from Ireland to Britain (and I'm saying Britain as N Ireland is part of the UK and it's usually not a problem to take cars there), and assuming you wanted to drop your car in Britain, the rental company will charge a significant extra to repatriate the car on completion of the rental as Irish cars cannot be hire in the UK and vice versa.

Jacksonville via...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I have a question about car hire...

Yeah I imagine the insurance would also be an issue.

Oh well I'm not going to the UK any way. =)

5. Re: I have a question about car hire...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:18