We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

R of K and Beara

Canada
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
R of K and Beara

I am spending 3 nights in Kenmare and want to do both Beara and the Ring ( rental car) but unfortunately my 2 non-travel days are Sat and Sun. (monday heading to Adare)

Which loop would be best left to Sunday? (Given that some stores./restaurants etc may be closed)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: R of K and Beara

I think it makes little differences. Most places are open on Sunday

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: R of K and Beara

I agree there shouldn't be much difference. Possibly the ROK is a bit more tourist-focussed than Beara and you'd be more certain of things being open on a Sunday, but I can't really see any problem on Beara.

If a trip to Dursey Island is on your Beara itinerary (strongly recommended on a sunny day, strongly discouraged on a wet day), Saturday is probably a better option. The Sunday operating hours of the cable car aren't so visitor friendly as you have to go out by lunchtime and can't come back til early evening.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: R of K and Beara

I found the operating hours for the cable car.

Seems Sunday isn't so bad in June, July and August

corkcoco.ie/co/…20Cars

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: R of K and Beara

Don't worry about Sunday closures, most restaurants and all pubs are open on Sundays now. Not sure what kind of shops you need to visit but there will be places to stop for snacks and any 'tourist based' shops will open on Sunday too. You won't need to do much shopping on Beara and ROK in any case, you'll be too busy ogling the scenery !!

It's literally a coin toss (for me) as to which circuit i would do on which day. Just be aware that ROK is the larger peninsula and it has been reported by other visitors previously that the full circuit of ROK (with stops along the way) of just over 100 miles will take 8 hours. That being the case, then Beara will take about 4-5. This all depends on your travel style on those days (whistlestop or leisurely). So knowing that and knowing that Sunday is the day that most irish take to their cars and 'go for a spin', then it is probably better doing the ROK on the Saturday and Beara on they Sunday. But as I said already, I'd have to toss a coin.

One other thing to take into consideration. If the weather is really bad on the Saturday, e.g. raining and misty, then do the shorter circuit and hope that the following day will be better for the longer one !!

Edited: 30 April 2012, 08:29
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: R of K and Beara

You won't have much time to fit in Dursey when doing Beara. It will just eat into your time as getting out and back there takes a lot of time (even with the cable car). You will not miss any dramatic sights by skipping Dursey this time.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: R of K and Beara

Thanks for all the good advice and the link to the cable car. I have been on many cable cars (ski nut in canada) so perhaps will pass Dursey this time.

7. Re: R of K and Beara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:41