We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

I just read that there are several toll booths we are going to pass and some are barrier free. We are renting a car with Budget, and apparently we need to keep track of which tolls we pay and pay for them by 8 pm the following day at some random pay box somewhere? This sounds really confusing and stressful. Will Budget be able to help us? I'd like to just rent the car, map out all the tolls and pre-pay to make sure we don't get fined but it doesn't sound like we can do that. How do I make sure I know where all the tolls are and find a pay booth that is convenient to our trip?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

The barrier frees are on the M50 only, so if you are travelling on the M50 at any stage, chances are that you will pass through them. They are well signed as you approach them.

Here is a link to how to pay if driving a rental.

(Rental customers cannot pre pay)

All you have to do is remember to pay when you get to your destination, and the only information you need when paying is the car registration number (the full number on the number plate)

www.eflow.ie/faq/BEF.MGCO.REC.117/#Rental_Car

Edited: 02 May 2012, 09:00
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

Additionally, when travelling on the M7 or M8 that is to anywhere south of Dublin chances are you will encounter at least one toll plaza on that journey. For example on the journey from Dublin to Cork there are two toll plazas and the cost at each is €1.80. It doesn't matter if you don't have the correct change as some of the booths are manned and there are rarely hold ups at any of them. Max wait time - 2 - 3minutes.

There are also one or two booths with auto buckets which you toss your correct change into (no change given)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

"This sounds really confusing and stressful. "

It really isn't.

Maybe if you were going through 4 of them every day and having to keep track or something.But that would be unusual for most visitors.

Your car registration is often found on the key chain. You just walk into a shop and hand over the euro.

Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

We drove all over the country and never ran into a barrier less one, several of the normal kind though.

Wen you pick up the car, they'll explain the process for you and you can even pay online, just remember to write down the license plate number or have the printout from the rental company handy.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

The only one where you don't have the option of paying at the toll is the one where the M50 crosses the River Liffey, west of Dublin.

Ask Budget whether they provide an automatic billing system.

I know Hertz provide this service (and it wasn't mentioned until I was at the desk in Dublin Airport). Essentially, you just get billed the standard cost later onto the credit card you book with. However, this isn't out of the goodness of their hearts. They get a discount on the fee as mass users of the toll and pocket the difference.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way of driving around the toll. You can try navigating the rural roads west of Dublin or the west Dublin suburbs, but you are more likely than not to get lost.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

There is only one toll on the motorways in Ireland, that is barrier free - on the M50. It has a €3 toll charge, each way, between Junctions 6 and 7. There are signs, advising you that you are in a toll section. You have to buy a toll token yourself before 8 PM the day following usage of the M50 toll section. A token is valid for a single usage for 12 months after date of purchase.

The following are the other tolls that you can expect to pay on the motorways in Ireland

M1 between Junctions 7 and 10. €1.80 (Dublin to Belfast)

M3 between Junctions 5 and 6, and between Junctions 9 and 10. - €1.40 each (Dublin to Navan)

M4 between Junctions 8 and 10. €2.80 (Dublin to Galway, and west of Ireland in general - Sligo/Mayo)

M6 between Junctions 15 and 16. €1.80 (Dublin to Galway - at Kinnegad, you leave the M4 for the M6, to continue on to Galway)

M7/M8 between Junctions 18 and 21. €1.80 ( Dublin to Cork and Limerick. Shortly after the toll booth, you will take the M8 for Cork)

M8 between Junctions 15 and 17. €1.80 (Dublin to Cork)

Waterford city bypass €1.80

Here is a link to get further details on tolls and how they can be paid.

nra.ie/GeneralTollingInformation/TollCharges/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

I don't have any problem paying the tolls, I'm just worried about accidentally missing one and then having the rental car company put some exorbitant amount on my credit card. We will be driving from Dublin to Cork, so it sounds like there is one on the M50 that we will have to pay (at a gas station?) when we get to Cork or nearby. The others I assume we just watch out for the toll booth signs and make sure we pull over and have some cash and coins with us and we should be fine? After that we're driving from Cork to Dingle stopping near the Gap of Dunloe for a walk, and then later from Dingle to Galway (taking the ferry) with a stop at the Cliffs of Moher, and then leaving the car in Galway. Is there a site with a map of all the tolls so we know where to watch?

I actually had this sort of problem in USA when I missed a toll booth because there weren't very good signs telling people what lane to be in to pay the toll, so I ended up in the pre-paid lane before I could do anything or get over in time and got a $50 fine. I really don't want to have that kind of situation again.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

Re: M50 Barrier Free e-toll

Looks like Budget doesn't have the same arrangement as Hertz, so you will have to find a computer ( for online payment) or "payzone" outlet for that particular fee. If you're heading to Cork, I'm sure you won't have difficulties finding a payzone outlet (mostly small stores, garages and newsagents).

http://www.budget.ie/barrier_free_tolling.php

List of Cork city payzone outlets:

www.payzone.ie/outlets/?pid=4&cid=12&lid=51

Motorway toll booths

Don't worry: you can't drive past the toll booths as there are huge overhead signs and barriers right across the road where you have to stop and pay. Worth while keeping a few euros in change in your purse/wallet (credit cards Not accepted).

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

On your proposed route, you will have three tolls to pay - the M50, for which you will need to buy a token(€3) at a 'payzone' outlet, before 8PM, the day following that you used the M50.

You leave the M50 at Exit 9 for Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Kerry. which will bring you on the N7/M7, which you leave at exit 19 for the M8 to Cork.

You will pay one toll(€1.80) on the M7, between exits 18 & 21. Shortly after the toll booth, you take exit 19 for the M8 to Cork.

On the M8, you will have a further toll(€1.80) to pay, between exits 15 & 17.

As Sarnia said, you won't miss the toll booths - not a chance. As you approach the toll booths, just drive for the ones that have attendants in them, and hand over your cash. And that's it.

You can buy M50 tolls in a few outlets in Dublin Airport - www.payzone.ie/outlets/?pid=4&cid=1&lid=397.- however, you do need to know your car registration (license plate number), so as soon as you have collected the car, ask the car hire firm to direct you to the nearest of these outlets.

Alternatively, you can wait until you get to Cork - www.payzone.ie/outlets/?pid=4&cid=12&lid=51

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: toll booths--barrier free tolls in a rental car

Thanks, that is super helpful everyone. Sounds like it won't be that big of a deal. I'm just scarred by my toll both experience here back home (I don't think it's set up well over on west coast USA).