We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet lag

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
162 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Jet lag

I would be interested in hearing how fellow travelers prevent or minimize jet lag. Any suggestions for OTC remedies?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet lag

might be better posting on air travel forum.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet lag

Some people swear by melatonin to help them sleep. On the overnight flights I stay away from caffeine and alcohol. Any sleep at all will be a great benefit. I find the exhilaration of being in a new country will carry me through the first day but you have to stay active and do everything you can do go to bed by the local clock. If you do nap that first day keep it to 1.5 - 2 hours. I have always gotten a good sleep the first night when traveling overseas and never failed to get on schedule. Jet lag after the trip is worse. Not so bad from Ireland though.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet lag

i haven't found a cure for jet lag yet...as beamish says, try to sleep on the plane, and upon arrival keep as busy as you can, and i do that too....i just don't drive very far on the first day....in fact our first stop, next friday (yahoooo) is at tara, 45 minutes from dublin airport...we'll just take it easy that day, see the hill, the holy well, used book store, and maguire's of tara, then turn in early, get a good nights sleep and be ready to rock and roll on saturday....

Canada
Level Contributor
6,330 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet lag

For the last 5 years, I have used a product called No Jet Lag- it is homeopathic concotion. Some people say it doesn't work but I have had great success with it,- Even on a long trip to China and back. Do some online searches for it.

On flights to europe I also do not eat the meal on the plane if it leaves after 7 pm. I would rather eat earlier at the airport and then

I pop a sleeping pill and ask the flight attendant not to wake me for meals or beverage service.

Texas
Level Contributor
171 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet lag

I use no jet lag too. it works for me

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
322 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet lag

I also avoid caffeine and alcohol for 24 hours beforehand, and take 1 or 2 tylenol pm with my evening airplane meal, and usually get 5-6 hours of fairly good sleep, enough to keep me going all day, as long as I hit the ground running and keep moving! Also I try to schedule some outdoor activities, like a one or 2 hour historical walking tour. rvflyer

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet lag

I agree with beamish's method. I do the same thing, no chemical concoctions- just keep busy. I have trouble sleeping on planes, so I just tough it out til about 8pm destination time. Flying from California, that means I'm up for about 30 hours but I'm good to go the next day!

8. Re: Jet lag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:16