We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Driving trip

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
899 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Self Driving trip

First, I want to thank all the TA suggestions. I have now concluded that my original ideas were evidently my Christmas list. So, now, wondered:

We leave Dublin, and either skip going to Glendalough and Wicklow, as it would entail an overnight in Wicklow. Then as we want to head to Cashel and Cahir and over to the Beara Peninsula before heading up the coast, I'm going to have to figure out a good drive. It doesn't appear to be a very easy way to get from Wicklow over to Cashel. I originally also planned to drive through Cobh the coast scenic way over to the Beara, but that might be too much driving as well. We only have 12 days from leaving Dublin and the areas I most want to see are Beara, Dingle, Cliffs of Moher and the Connemara area around Galway. So,if this makes any sense what might be a suggestion to get to the west without spending all the time in the car? Other than Glendalough has been highly recommended, and sounds like a good day trip, I'd be interested in input from seasoned travelers. I realize that all this is subjective, but I've learned a lot from all that subjectiveness in getting our trip planned. Thanks again, in advance.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,122 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Driving trip

"We only have 12 days from leaving Dublin and the areas I most want to see are Beara, Dingle, Cliffs of Moher and the Connemara area around Galway."

I have to confess it was difficult to read the above...but I think I grabbed and quoted the question?

So....

Leave Dublin. Drive to Galway.

2-3 nights in Galway area, Galway City or surroundings.

Next a night in Clare to see the Cliffs.

Off to Dingle for a couple nights.

Off to Kenmare for a couple nights to see the Beara Peninsula.

And then...you have to head back to Dublin to return home?

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
899 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Driving trip

Thanks for reading my jumblings (I'm getting tired of googling directions right now). So, what would be your suggestion as to the direction of the drive back to Dublin? After we spend two full days in Dublin, we have 12 nights left to stay in Ireland and still be at the airport the 13th night for our flight home the following afternoon. I like your ideas though and not moving around quite as much as I originally started.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Driving trip

Don't waste your time with Googling for directions/maps. The best site is the one most here recommend http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/# . I found their mapping to be the most reliable and you can have it formatted for km or miles and gas estimates in dollars or euros.

4. Re: Self Driving trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:41