We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

My husband and I are traveling to Ireland this August to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. His mother's parents were both from the area of Roscommon, so that is one place he would like to see. He is also interested in places of literary interest. I'm just along for the ride and enjoy seeing beautiful and historic homes.

We're arriving during the August bank holiday (couldn't be helped) so I'm hoping that won't turn out to be a huge problem.

Our tentative itinerary is as follows:

Saturday AM August 4: arrive Dublin, drive to Galway. (Yes, I know we'll be tired, and we'd rather go by bus or train, but it looks like it's very hard to rent a car in Galway!)

See a bit of Galway city

Overnight: Park House Hotel (cancellable reservation)

Sunday: tour the area--not sure what we'll see--backtrack to see Roscommon?

Overnight: Park House

Monday: more in the area--suggestions?

Overnight: Park House

Tuesday: see more of the western coast, maybe Dingle Peninsula? Limerick area?

Overnight: TBA--maybe Adare? Dromoland? Suggestions needed. I think a castle would be fun, but not sure I want to spend 500 euro for one night.

Wednesday: Ring of Kerry, then to Cork (can we do this in a day?)

Overnight: Hayfield Manor

Thursday (our anniversary): relax at Hayfield Manor and surrounding area

Overnight: Hayfield Manor

Friday: drive to Dublin, tour city some (Book of Kells, etc), see a play at the Abbey Theater in Dublin

Overnight: TBA, maybe the Conrad?

Saturday: more Dublin (suggestions?)

Overnight TBA

Sunday: early flight home to Dulles.

Trip Advisor helped me enormously to plan a family trip to Israel last December, so I know what a fabulous resource the Destination Experts and other travelers can be. I'm looking forward to your input to refine our plans.

Thanks so much!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

@ Sat., Aug 4 - I would visit Co. Roscommon on the way to Galway, driving there directly from DUB, and staying the first night somewhere in the county, then continuing to Galway the next day. I can recommend visitng the Strokestown House famine museum:

http://www.strokestownpark.ie/famine-museum

Dublin
Level Contributor
168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

OK, your itinerary is fine but a couple of suggestions;

- I think three nights in Galway may be a bit much, perhaps you're putting yourself under pressure in the rest of the trip. Galway is a great town but it's not very big and two nights would be plenty.

- You should be aware that the Galway Races (horse racing festival) will be on at the same time you're there, so the city will be very busy and this will also impact on traffic in and out... it might also be inflating your hotel price so maybe look at changing the order of your itinerary?

- Roscommon wouldn't exactly be top of the list for most tourists, there isn't a huge amount to see so just check out where you're going in advance.

- I would not let anyone come to Ireland and not see the Dingle Peninsula, it's fantastic, however doing both Dingle and Ring of Kerry is probably overkill. A possible suggestion would be going from Galway to Killarney and using that as a base to tour Dingle, then going from Killarney to Cork.

- Hayfield is a great hotel, excellent choice

- A very minor problem is that the Abbey Theatre is closed this summer while they remove the asbestos from the ceiling...

- The Conrad Hotel in Dublin is in a great location for tourism, however I've never stayed there. There are plenty of other threads on hotels and things to do in Dublin.

Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

Wow, thanks for the tip about the theater! The reason we start in Galway and end in Dublin was to see a show at the theater. If it's closed, we can start in Dublin. That will spare us the jet-lagged drive as well.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

If you're reversing the itinerary, then you can drive through Co. Roscommon on your way from Galway back to Dublin - no need to spend a night there.

Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

Can you help me reconfigure so we still wind up at Hayfield for our anniversary?

Saturday - Dublin

Sunday - Dublin

Monday - Galway via Roscommon

Tuesday - Galway

Wednesday- can we go from Galway via Dingle peninsula or Ring of Kerry and get to Cork?

Thursday (anniversary) - Cork

Friday - ?Waterford

Saturday - southeast somewhere? More Dublin? Overnight near airport?

Sunday - early flight home

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

Re the Abbey - I understand that the theatre is temporarily relocating to the Belvedere College theatre which is nearby while the remedial works are ongoing. You will get more details on the Abbey website at www.abbeytheatre.ie.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,712 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

If you are going Galway to Cork via the Dingle peninsular (1/4 the size of the Iveragh Peninsular Ring of Kerry) then I would spend Thursday night somewhere closer like Adare. We live in East Galway and use the Woodlands in Adare for an earlyish start to Cork (Without touring round Dingle).

Canada
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

AA ireland shows Galway to Cork via Dingle is over a 6 hr drive, This does not even include the drive around dingle peninsula or the R of K (which some people indicate can be a 8 hr drive).

The destination Ireland experts are always recommending AA ireland and if you haven't used it yet, perhaps you can get a better idea of times etc.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

If you wish to visit Roscommon, and ancestry is always a good reason, then there are things to b see for a day or so. Apart from Strokestown hpuse familne museum mentioned aboive, Boyle Abbey and King House Museum are worth a visit http://www.visitroscommon.com/attractions.asp

The point is that any part of Ireland has things to see and if you have such a short trip you'll have to leave things out. Dingle is an excellent place to visit, but don't rush through Clare from Galway to get to it.

Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Initial draft itinerary--your input requested

Thanks everyone! I flipped the itinerary back around again to start in Galway, but to cut the time in Galway a bit shorter to make time for a castle stay (Dromoland) and a night in Dingle.

We have given Dublin a bit of a short shrift in this scenario, I'm afraid.

Would like suggestions on specific things to see/do in each of our stops. Now it looks like this:

8/4/2012 Saturday, arrive in a.m., drive to Galway. Overnight at Park House Hotel

8/5/2012 Sunday, day trip to Roscommon (I know it’s backtracking, but my husband thought he would not want to do that visit until he’d had a bit of rest). Overnight Galway, Park House Hotel

8/6/2012 Monday Galway-->Dromoland. Overnight Dromoland. We didn’t book the dinner package—is there anywhere else for dinner?

8/7/2012 Tuesday Dromoland to Dingle, overnight in Dingle TBA (Heaton’s, Lighthouse, Milestone, or Castlewood if available.

8/8/2012 Wednesday Dingle-->Cork, overnight Hayfield Manor

8/9/2012 Thursday—this is our anniversary and we might just take it easy and do nothing at all, or perhaps we can do a day trip to Waterford to see the factory? Overnight (with dinner in the restaurant) again at Hayfield Manor

8/10/2012 Friday Cork-->Dublin , tour (HOHO bus?), Book of Kells, Trinity, etc. Overnight TBA, maybe the Conrad.

8/11/2012 Saturday, more Dublin, overnight at airport Hilton

8/13/2012 Sunday early flight home

Edited: 12 May 2012, 18:56