We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire question

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
118 posts
660 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire question

I'll be in Ireland in June and plan to rent a car for the trip. I've read a lot on TA about taking out excess insurance with a 3rd party insurer like insurance4carhire.com. However its website says that their insurance is only available to European residents so I don't qualify as I live in the US. Are there any other reputable insurance companies like 4carhire anyone from the US have used and can recommend?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
118 posts
660 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire question

In particular - has anyone heard of or have used the company Worldwideinsure.com?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire question

Regardless of wherever you source your insurance, make sure that it is acceptable to your rental company in Ireland and get written confirmation to this effect from the rental company. By and large, they like to sell you their own insurance for obvious reasons and are slow to accept cover from other sources. Also make sure it covers both CDW and "Super" CDW cover.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
118 posts
660 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire question

All the rental car companies say that they will let me decline the CDW as long as I "believe" i am covered, but they want to take a deposit on my credit card regardless. That's why I am thinking of getting a 3rd party insurer's excess coverage to complement the CDW from the rental company. But there seem to be two websites, one is insurance4carhire.com, and the other insureance4hire.com, the latter seems to direct you to other insurers depending on the link you click - one of them sent me back to Worldwideinsure.com. Very confusing!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire question

No one has used worldwideinsure.com before? I am also looking at this company but cant decide...

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire question

I don't know about worldwideinsure.com but I can tell you that insurance4carhire.com doesn't offer insurance to people in the U.S. I already tried and the agent directed me to some car rental site. I guess maybe the car rentals want to keep a monopoly on the car insurance in Ireland.

I did just look at worldwideinsure and it seems as if they only pay up to a specific amount for any damage. I think it states up to 2000 per claim so my impression is if you total the car then they will still only give you 2000. But i'm not sure.

Edited: 12 July 2012, 04:08
6. Re: Car hire question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2012, 04:09
Edited: 13 July 2012, 04:09
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire question

@roblox

I think tony2phones was able to establish a while back, that the Daily Rate with insurance4carhire is available to residents of any country.

Unlike in the past, the Annual Rate is now restricted to residents 'within the European Economic Area'.

excessinsuranceforcarhire.com/reviews/…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire question

To be honest I don't think Insurance4carhire staff know what they offer.

I had a long protracted email conversation with their sales manager before I got the fact that daily insurance" is available" to non European and drivers from Northern Ireland who can not avail of the Annual cover.

Another option might be

https:/…hire-car-hire-excess.aspx

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire question

Has anyone used the third party excess insurance and had to make a claim? Just wondering if it is a hassle beyond the value?

10. Re: Car hire question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 07:15