We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

Kefar Sava...
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

Hi,

I'm going for a two week trip in Ireland and I don't know which is the safest way to carry my money - traveller's cheques (I read that they're not so popular in Ireland), Visa debit/credit card (do they accept Visa in Ireland?) or just travel with a load of cash stuffed in my shoes?

I'm a bit desperate, and would like any help I can get on the matter :).

Edited: 26 May 2012, 18:15
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

Travellers cheques are being phased out and you would have problems.

Visa and Mastercard Debit/Credit cards are widely accepted and the best echange rate is obtained by using ATM to obtain cash (Your bank may charge but no withdrawal charges over here)

Canada
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

I have traveled a lot - all over the world and never take travellers cheques anymore. No one wants to to cash them (even some foreign banks and airport exchange counters). Take your debit card and a credit card. with some cash (to last a few days at least). Tell your bank that you will be using cards in Ireland. I actually carry 2 debit cards and 2 CC (from different banks)

Although in Egypt once, a friends CC was rejected because the stores CC machine was actually registered in England and the bank knew she was in Egypt. A phone call straightened the matter out.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

I take a VISA credit card for major purchases, a few euros cash for tolls etc and a debit card for when the cash runs out.

I've never seen a traveller's cheque..........

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

Don't take large amounts of cash - you might lose it or it might get stolen. Best advice, as already noted, is to use ATMs and credit cards, but maybe get some euro in advance in case of queues at ATMs on arrival.

Kefar Sava...
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

I don't know if using ATMs is the best option, because I heard that the transfer rates from euro are outrageous.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

ATM give the mid point exchange rate so a better rate than your bank will sell to you without commission on top. The $ is at it highest level against the € for years.

It is your bank or card provider that bang up the charges. I am led to believe that US Credit Unions give the best rates and Capital One has no foreign transaction charges.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

Inna---

If I am paying $3000 for a 2 week trip (or more) than the last thing I am going to worry about is a few more dollars for using ATM. Much safer than carrying large amts of cash as previously noted.

Things like exchange rates should be part of your trip budget.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

Ditto to all of the advice. Never carry large sums of money anywhere! ATMs and Visa are ubiquitous in Ireland, even small towns!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

>>>I don't know if using ATMs is the best option, because I heard that the transfer rates from euro are outrageous.<<<

Not my experience using my Capital One ATM/Debit card that is tied to my checking account with them. Do not use an ATM, however, to take money out as a cash advance against your credit card(s) as that will be expensive in that you will immediately start incurring interest.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveller's cheques or Visa debit card?

I would opt for the shoes stuffed with money, if that is not feasible you could always barter.