We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency ahd hire car issues

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
currency ahd hire car issues

If we drive from Dublin to County Antrim and spend a few nights there before going on to County Donegal and then down the west coast what should we do in terms of the currency we need for the first part of the journey and what we will need when we get into the republic ?

And are there any traps for the uninitiated in hiring a car in Dublin and driving into Northern Ireland before going anti-clockwise around the west and south coast back to Dublin ?

Thanks for any input

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency ahd hire car issues

If you start from Dublin you are in the Republic of Ireland.

You need euros in the Republic and ££ sterling in the North.

I would start by bringing a little of each in cash to get me started, road tolls and a sandwich etc. Use debit cards to get cash from ATMs but you will just have to be careful not to get more than you need for the day in hand, use a credit card for major purchases.

You shouldnt have any problems with the car hire ,but please do tell the car hire company that you are going to the North otherwise you will not be insured.There will be a premium to pay but it should not be extortionate. Big charges result from people wanting to rent in one country and leave the car in another.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency ahd hire car issues

You only need any NI extra cover for the days you are in the UK part of our island so don't get bulled by the sales rep.

Mobile phone sim card's purchased in the Republic cover the Island of Ireland. UK sim cards are Roaming this side of the Six Counties.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency ahd hire car issues

In terms of minor details in driving from the ROI to NI, be aware that speed limits and distance information in the ROI is in km whereas it is in miles in NI. Driving habits and general road rules are pretty much identical. There are no border formalities - in fact there is very little to mark the transition from one jurisdiction to another, save for a subtle change in the style of road markings and a change in the style and nature of some road signage.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency ahd hire car issues

Last time we crossed the border, I looked hard, but could not find anything, not even a fence between the two countries.

We've done this twice. Where you appear to be returning through the republic, save your euros when you go to the North. We had absolutely NO PROBLEMS getting pound sterling at any ATM. The only toll going north from Dublin was on the M1. I believe it was €1.90.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency ahd hire car issues

Thanks to all who responded to my post, I greatly appreciate your assistance.

6. Re: currency ahd hire car issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:17