We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Wild Atlantic Way

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
The Wild Atlantic Way

The Wild Atlantic Way is a proposed new driving route on the West Coast of Ireland, designed to be like drives such as the Great Ocean Road in Australia.

The Irish Times is running a series of articles over the coming days looking at the route.

Today has the first article on the stretch between Clonakilty and Mizen Head

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224317879180.html

I'll try to post upcoming articles, but if anyone wants to do it first, please do so. This is especially true over the weeken when I might not be online (Moving house!).

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,737 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

This route is being pushed trough in the usual fashion with scant regard for the destruction of what lies in its way. Fine for folk who just want to rush blindly from one hit to the next but as with all express way's the best bits can only be appreciated by getting off. That's if the road hasn't bulldozed through the smaller wonders. In many places there are fast routes without spending a small fortune on a misguided concept.

Protest over.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

My concern isn't that it will destroy what is around it (after all it's not like there's even funding for road improvements), but that it will essentially be a trunk road that links interesting areas rather than being a decent drive in its own right.

As the author notes, you don't actually see much of the Atlantic between Clonakilty and Mizen Head on the main road.

The N71 is primarily a trunk road for getting locals and freight in and out of West Cork and as some will have seen, I usually recommend the R600 for tourists travelling between Cork City and Clonakilty (although this is not actually part of the Wild Atlantic Way) because it is far more scenic.

Very few Irish coastal roads actually hug the coast in the way you find in other countries.

Where it may be useful is, as the Irish Times journalist notes, in linking places that you can get to if you turn left.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,737 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

And the A50 through Wales is a great way to get too and from Holyhead without seeing anything. The new motorway systems here in Ireland have made it easier to get from A to B without seeing anything.

There are communities along these routes devastated by lack of passing trade. Fair enough it's progress but in these times it is more important to employ nurses, fund schooling, create employment rather than replace existing routes in the misconception that it will entice visitors.

Simplifying the hire car process would do more to entice visitors at minimal cost rather than another new superhighway that we will be paying for through the next 10 administrations and more.

What's next a Duel carriageway round Beara, Iveragh, and Dingle. Just improving the standard of existing road surface would be a better option.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

I think you might be confusing the route with the Atlantic Corridor proposal, which is a long-term plan for a motorway from Cork to Derry.

This one is essentially just linking up the existing road infrastructure into a coherent path up the west coast.,

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,737 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224316553917.html

There will in time no doubt be a links including the M18 but running the spine of western Ireland which is another story altogether as most routes exist as arterial routes in any case.

This is probably the wrong forum to address the failings of successive governments but I am sure you know where I am coming from

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

This article 'Coasting in search of Wild West Adventure" from Wednesday, 13th June, 2012 serves as an introduction to the series The Wild Atlantic Way:

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224317820332.html

And, the offering for Friday, 15th June, 2012 is 'Sea Spray and Gales ensure the way to Caherdaniel is truly wild'

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224317979845.html

And, the accompanying blog for the series:

www.irishtimes.com/blogs/wildatlanticway/

(By the way, Irish Times articles remain free for up to a year; thereafter available by paid subscription).

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

In a letter to the Irish Times on the topic, one reader points out the omission of the Westport - Louisburgh - Leenane stretch of road in counties Mayo and Galway.

Quote:

'......The proposed Wild Atlantic Way is a wonderful idea by Fáilte Ireland to showcase the beauty of the country.

However, I was disappointed to see that Louisburgh and Leenane were not included in the proposed way.

The road from Westport to Louisburgh and Leenane is both historic and beautiful passing Croagh Patrick, Murrisk, Lecanvey along by Mweelrea Mountain and Doo Lough and along one of the few natural fjords (the Killary Fjord) in the world.

It is also the route of the Famine walk which is of great significance to our country and to our relationship with America.

This area has several miles of beautiful beaches, many of them with Blue Flag designation.

It is an area that is much frequented by walkers, mountain climbers, geologists, surfers and holiday makers – it featured in The Irish Times recently as one of the most beautiful places to live.

Why would this be the only part of the proposed Wild Atlantic Way to be left out?"

End of quote.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

They seem to be basing it on the national routes around the country, when sometimes regional routes would make more sense. That road us a regional route. The writer has a point, Louisburgh to Leenane is one of the most stunning stretches of road in the country.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,737 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

Don't tell everybody!!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

I thought only I knew about those beaches! And I never tell anyone about them :))