We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day Itinerary help needed!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
7 day Itinerary help needed!

My husband and I are traveling to Ireland in September, flying into Dublin, out of Shannon. Here is what I have as itinerary so far, suggestions needed! We are fast paced travelers, but don't want to cram too much in and want to be able to have room in our schedule to stop somewhere not on list if desired!

Day 1-2: Dublin

Day 3: Leave Dublin in am, drive to Blarney- See Blarney Castle, then drive to Cork City, explore and spend night in Cork City.

Day 4: Drive to Kinsale, spend morning there, then drive to Killarney. See Ross Castle, Muckross House, then Killarney Pub tour-stay in Killarney.

Day 5: Wake up and drive Dingle Peninsula, get lunch then drive to Limerick or another town along the way to Doolin (near cliffs), stay the night in Doolin or near Cliffs of Mohr

Day 6: Drive to Cliffs of Mohr- spend a few hours, then drive to Galway, Spend afternoon and evening in Galway (suggestions of what to see?)

Day 7: Leave Galway and drive to Bunratty, see Bunratty Castle, stay overnight in Bunratty or Shannon.

Day 8: Fly out of Shannon

The second half of our trip is very tentative so any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!!

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kilkenny Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

Just to blow a big hole in my reputation

Day 3 from Dublin take a look at Cashel and Cahir on the way to Cork

Day 4 take in at least some of the Cork coastline.(better than Kerry)

Day 5 take your time in Kerry and overnight in Dingle.

Day 6 head from Dingle over the Connor Pass to Galway via the Shannon Tunnel, Bunratty and the main N/M18

Day 7 back down the coast past the cliffs and Doolin, maybe a combi cruise and overnight Ennis.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

wow, that's a tough one and if i only had 7 days and one of them being arrival date i'd take it because it's much better than not getting to go....this is what i would probably do with your wish list, others may not do this, or it may not be for you:

day 1 dublin, pick up car when you leave there day two....

day 2 somewhere just north of cork city maybe.... because the traffic is really tough, but you could take a taxi in to city centre.....

day3-4 dingle, slea head, the blaskets, fungi, the village, dingle crystal, etc.....

day 5-6 galway (i wouldn't do it but it seems important to you so i say go for it)...you could see the cliffs of moher in route........it's a long day but doable....

day 7 shannon, just about 15 minutes from bunratty, where you can spend what is left of your day after driving from galway.......i highly recommend the oakwood arms hotel in shannon and it's only a few minutes to the airport...also, you could even take in the banquet at bunratty castle in the evening, which is a great way to end any ireland trip....

whatever you end up doing you will have a great time...i love the people of ireland....they are amazing....

Edited: 28 June 2012, 19:46
Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

I would drop Cork , and spend nights 3-4 in Killarney.

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

I think that Trintraveller above might have a point, personally I would rather spend 3-4 nights in a place and relax rather than be packing my bags every morning and heading to a new place and then unpacking again. I'm from Cork City and I love it but Killarney would make a great base and it would be easy explore more of the southwest of Ireland. You could do the Ring of Kerry (The Skelligs is without a doubt wort considering, but not if you have young children) or better agin in my opinion the Beara Peninsula (clockwise) the section between Allihies & Eyries never fails to render me speechless. If you wanted to see Cork it's only an hour and twenty minutes away. There is a trip you could do in Killarney which involves a horse ride through the gap of Dunloe, and a boat trip back to the town via Ross castle, www.gapofdunloetours.com

Towards the end of the trip 2 nights in Galway might be better for the same reason as stated above. If you spent your last night in Galway, it will take you a maximum of 90 minutes to get to Bunratty and from there it's only 15 minutes to Shannon Airport.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

I Think the point is that JK wants to get as many miles as possible for an enjoyable Road Trip without over doing it. So a string of one night stops with a relaxed, sight seeing connection between them.

Or perhaps I am the one reading it wrong and they do want to just stay in places for 2 or 3 nights to fill the whole 7 days.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

Kinsale and Dingle. Or Kinsale and Cliffs/Galway. Otherwise you will be in your car all day, except for Dublin.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

Yes, tony2phones, You are correct, we want to see as much as we can without overdoing it and don't mind a string of one night stops. We are young, flexible and spontaneous (but I am also very much a planner!)

Beamish12, are you saying to skip Kinsale/Dingle? We want to have a good balance of city/country. Have we struck anywhere close to a balance with above itinerary?

I understand everyone's concern to not pack too much in and I would say the same thing if someone listed off places to see in our home, Washington DC (I'd say don't waste your time with certain monuments, but if its the ONLY time you'll ever visit, you'd want to see the White House too;)

REALLY appreciating the advice! Couldn't plan our trips without generous contributors like you all:)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

Think the only thing I changed from your last list on my last list was...

Stay in Dingle rather than rushing to Doolin (I don't like Dingle but it makes sense in your itinerary and its not my holiday)

Drive to Galway on the main road, call at Adare or (my choice Listowel) then through the tunnel rather than the ferry. Call at Bunratty on the way too Galway rather than on the way back to Ennis.

Then the Cliffs on the way back down from Galway rather than the way up.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 15:25
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

Good advice from Tony above, although I like Dingle ;)

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: 7 day Itinerary help needed!

I love Dingle, I love Galway , etc. My point is you have to make choices or just do the American thing and drive all day, take pictures, and tell everyone where you have been. But be forewarned the driving will be very tiring and make it difficult to relax.