We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Questions

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Questions

Hello,

My husband and I are coming to Ireland in March 2013. I am trying to figure out a rough budget for our trip. I have an itenerary that I have been working on for awhile now. I have a good idea of how much I will spend on the flight, hotels, and rental car but I need some help factoring in the cost of food, petrol, parking/tolls and anything else that I may not be thinking of.

AAroadwatch has been an incredible help. It says I will be traveling 700.88 km and factoring in 25 MPG and 162 cents per litre, it estimates that I will spend around 135 euros in fuel. Does this sound accurate?

I just read something about there being alot of toll roads in Ireland, how much are they typically? Is there a website that I can enter my route and it give me that info?

I also read (i spend alot of time looking at Ireland forums/websites) that I should factor around 30 euros a day for food. We will probably do mostly pup food and little ma and pa diners/cafes. Nothing fancy. Does that cost sound accurate also?

Sorry fo so many questions!

We will be in Ireland for 9 days beginning at the Dublin airport, making the southern loop (roughly Cork, Killarney, Dingle, Doolin) and ending at the Shannon airport.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Questions

Here is a link to my thread summarizing our costs (3 adults for 15 days): tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k53959… .

Generally speaking, I think you should get better than 25MPG, but fuel will probably cost most than 162 per liter but who knows for 2013?

For food, I think you're under budget there, even assuming you're talking €30 per person per day.

Tolls are relatively infrequent and won't break the bank. Thrifty handled our M50 tolls which were billed at approximately $5.90 per crossing. The others we encountered were between €1.50 and €3.00 as I recall.

I hope this helps to provide a bit of perspective.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Questions

If you don't intend to stay in Dublin then I would fly into and out of Shannon as all the places mentioned are in the southwest corner of the country. Request a diesel powered car, the fuel is cheaper and the engines more fuel efficient.

The main tolls onyour trip will be the M50 in Dublin whch you can pay online in advance here http://www.eflow.ie/ The other main tolls are on the M8 from Dublin to Cork €1.80 x 2 and on the M7 Dublin to Limerick €1.80 x 1. There is also a €1.80 toll on the Shannon Tunnel in Limerick. All these tolls may be paid on at the barriers, except the M50 which must be paid online.

€30 per day on food seems a bit light and won't cover any real treats. If you stay in B&Bs you'll get a fine breakfast whcich will set up for the day. Lunch and early bird menus are cheaper than dinner a la carte.

The AA site has a route planner whcich will help with driving, you may also try www.viamichelin.com

Edited: 26 June 2012, 17:30
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Questions

>>>The main tolls onyour trip will be the M50 in Dublin whch you can pay online in advance here http://www.eflow.ie/ <<<

If you are considering prepaying the M50, be sure that whatever car rental company you're using does not have the mandatory billing of the tolls. (Thrifty did and we could not opt out of it by pre/post paying the tolls directly ourselves.)

>>>All these tolls may be paid on at the barriers, except the M50 which must be paid online.<<<

Not necessarily so.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 17:32
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Questions

>>>All these tolls may be paid on at the barriers, except the M50 which must be paid online.<<<

Not necessarily so.

To clarify my comment . . . the M50 toll may be paid by your rental car company and then billed to your credit card on file.

Additionally, there are places where you can pay the M50 toll (gas stations, stores, etc) so it is possible to pay w/o going online.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Questions

Do explain. Too slow you already did.

True about the M50 toll but would you pay online, inadvance or search out a shop or gas station that accepts payment. It's your holiday.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 17:38
Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Questions

Thanks both of you for the quick responses, they are greatly appreciated. I had not yet stumbled upon your thread, Timeshare, but just glancing at it, it seems to be exactly what I needed.

Lightblue, I had never considered a vehicle using diesel, I suppose because it is more expensive here than gasoline. Gives me something else to think about.

Also we will be staying in Dublin for 2 days before we rent the car, sorry I wasn't more specific with the itinerary.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Questions

I understand Lightblue . . . it is important for visitors to know they do not need to have access to the internet to pay their tolls. It was something that had us worried in our planning since we were not sure how much access we would have while in Ireland. As it turned out for us, the convenience provided by Thrifty came at a premium, but I'm glad we didn't have to worry about internet access or finding a store to make the payment (which we were reassured about before leaving for our trip, had we needed to pay within the required time).

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Questions

Regarding petrol/gas vs. diesel fuel, we found it to be roughly € .05 - € .10 less than regular fuel. In pricing out rental cars, however, the diesel engine options were more expensive than gas, so it seemed to not be worth the added rental price for a few pennies/dollars in fuel.

Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Questions

We were fortunate to have a diesel rental car on several rental occasions (even though we didn't ask for it in advance). It is not just the diesel fuel on which you save money - the engine itself is more efficient so you use less fuel. In our case, it was very much worth it in every case as we drive a LOT. Depending on your rental car company they may provide you one at no additional cost - in our opinion it is worth asking the question.

10. Re: Budget Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 05:16