We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

We bought several adult sized t-shirts while we were visiting Ireland in June. All were 100% cotton. Some were purchased at a certain storehouse, but most were bought at souvenier type stores in Dublin. I knew they might shrink so was mindful to wash them in cold water and not dry them. Well, they shrunk in the wash. The XL's now look like larges. Even worse, were the t-shirts we bought that came two for one in clear plastic. You will see these in most of the souvenier type shops. I bought size large in these and they shrunk to what looks like a size small. Compared to the shirts we bought that were on hangars, the packaged ones were clearly made of a thinner cotton. I guess we got what we paid for with those. I'm so disappointed.........

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

T-shirts are like that everywhere - either a joy or a disappointment.

In my case, mostly a disappointment.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
770 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

I sympathize!! Last year I bought a number of T-Shirts that got one wearing by me and shrunk to my grandson's size with one washing. This year I was much more selective. I tried on every one that I purchased (including those that were wrapped in clear plastic). I didn't buy any of the really thin feeling ones, and spent a bit more. So far--no problems. Most have been washed at least once and are holding up OK. Buyer beware!!!

jack.
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

Been given a few of those, myself; not from Ireland though.

Always a bit disappointing and annoying.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,624 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

If you're in Clare, stop at Lehinch and Celtic T Shirts. Really nice stuff. They're pre-shrunk and unique designs. You'll pay a lot more than at the more casual souvenir places. But it's one of those "you get what you pay for" things. I have hoodies and long-sleeved t's from them that I've been wearing for 4-5 years.

http://celtictshirts.ie/

Canada
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

Ladydi- were they made in Ireland or Asia?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,624 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

I don't think Ireland has much of a textile industry anymore. Trust me, the same problem existed when Fruit of The Loom had their plant in Donegal!

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

Perhaps you just gained weight on vacation.

Sorry, just kidding. I'm wearing a shrunken T-shirt now from one of my favorite Dublin pubs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

The shirts that only shrunk one size were made in Ireland. The pre-packaged shirt tags don't say where they were made and I threw the packaging out a while back.

WeTravel.....the walking we did while on our vacation did little to erase the pounds gained from too much beer, Irish breakfasts and fine dinner cuisine. When my husband put his shrunken shirt on we sang, "Fat guy in a little shirt!"

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

The waistband on my slacks is definitely getting smaller as the years go by........

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shrinking "souvenier" t-shirts

You were very careful with washing them but did you put them in the dryer? I have found that clothes bought in Ireland and tumbler dryers do not mix very well!