We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

Chicago
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

When I went to a website to calculate how much we'll spend on gas it said that the trip from Dublin to Donegal Town would be about 16 Euros, is that about right? We will have an economy Nissan hatchback. Thanks for any input!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
419 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

Try this route planner: http://routes.aaireland.ie/

It estimates your fuel cost at 35 Euros. I'd guess the actual cost is somewhere between the two.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

It will be nearer CardinalsLady's figure than Littleworms. My assumption (using the old method of calculation based on gallons and miles) is that an economy car would do about 40 miles per gallon. The journey is about 140 miles and would therefore use about 3.5 gallons which, at circa €7.50 per gallon is €26.25. Note that the UK/Irish gallon is a little different from the US gallon - but still expensive by US standards.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

dont use the air con if you have it, its not needed and adds roughly 10% to fuel consumption

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

This trip is 230 Km via Enniskillen (always check that your car hire company isn't imposing some rip off charge for visiting NI) or 272Km via Sligo. Even the smallest petrol car will use 14-16 litres for this journey, no way can you do it for €16, more like a minimum of €23. Also add tolls, another €6 or so, depending on the route you choose.

Perhaps a diesel car could do the trip for €20.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 08:45
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,862 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

Based on Christina's Renault (roller skate) Megan, I generally recon about 7.5 or 8 miles per €1. that would work out about €20 to €25. as with the above.

FG the belts are still driving the pump on the aircon whether its switched on or not, but you are right it cuts efficiency by about 10%. US emission control kit can cut efficiency by up to 20% for a 2% reduction in emissions.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

That 10% increase may be true for stop-start urban traffic, but at higher speeds using air con is much more efficient than driving around with windows open. Don't forget AC in cars over here isn't as powerful and icicle-forming as it is in the US.

7. Re: Fuel cost, very exciting I know:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 06:15