We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

United States
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

My wife and I will be on a 2 week driving vacation in Ireland end of September. How important is renting a GPS from the car rental agency? We will have a good book of maps for the country, and one of us can be the navigator at all times. Thanks!!! David and Marcia

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
407 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

We've driven three different times - two without a GPS, the last time with, and it was much easier with the GPS. We did not rent from the car company, however, as it is quite expensive. If you have your own GPS already, you can purchase an SD card with Ireland/UK maps. We bought the SD card for $34 on Amazon.com. It really made it much easier, especially with roundabouts and in the cities where the street names are hard to locate.

greater boston area
Level Contributor
189 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

I bought a new Garmin nuvi for our recent trip and it was invaluable. Not only did we rarely get lost, it would give us the distance and even which lane to get in for exits and roundabouts. Because many sites don't have an address; it was also useful to get the exact directions by putting in attractions. Even the Burren Perfumery was listed under attractions; a place we would never have found on our own.It was also helpful for locating restaurants and gas stations.

I bought the Europe maps instead of just the Ireland maps as we have hopes for future travel. Because we just bought the GPS, I was able to get 10 percent off of that purchase. I did purchase the OSI atlas prior which was helpful for planning but rarely used it while in Ireland

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

We've made two driving trips through Ireland and neither time did we use a GPS. We had a good map and a good navigator (me!) and had absolutely no problems getting where we needed to go.

Yes, you will likely get turned around at least once on your trip, but so do people using GPS. It's just an opportunity to ask for directions from a local. They are lovely people and are happy to help you get going in the right direction.

Denver, Colorado
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

I'm not an expert but I recently did a 19 day driving tour of Ireland that included some pretty remote areas. The first 5 days I was alone and the last 14 with a navigator. Not once was I truly lost, I missed some turns (especially on my own) but within a couple minutes was back on track. I had the osi atlas and a couple other maps. I think it's very doable with a map, just look at your route in advance. I'd rather spend the money on a few extra pints, gifts, etc....just my opionion though

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

I won't have a navigator so am bringing my GPS. I downloaded the Ireland/UK maps from the Garmin Store. I could have gotten the SD card from Amazon but wasn't sure how up to date they were.

I've already entered a lot of my destinations in 'My Favorites' so I won't have to hunt for them each time I want to go somewhere over there. You can also enter the GPS cooridinates if you can't get an address or find it in the attractions or places section of the GPS.

I will also be taking my OSI Atlas and a Michelin Map for back up Jackie(my GPS) steers me wrong.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

We've only been to Ireland once, but for that trip we too purchased a Garmin (Nuvi1410) for the trip. We also had the OPS Map book which was also very useful. For us, having the GPS really helped and made navigating easier for everyone (including the co-pilot).

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

i think that's for you to decide...after 8 trips, and no gps for any of them, i can honestly say i've managed nicely with just an osi map bought for less than 5 euro......

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

If you enjoy driving and have a sense of adventure, then I think you'll be fine without a GPS.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

OOops - yes - OSI not OPS (darn acronyms!).

United States
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GPS for a Driving Vacation in Ireland???

Many thanks.