We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days In Ireland

Moline, Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
7 Days In Ireland

Hey Everyone,

My friend and I will be traveling in Ireland for a week in September (arrive Sunday morning, and leave the following Sunday morning). I set up a tentative itinerary, but I feel like we're cramming too much in. We were told we couldn't miss Giant's Causeway, but it's really far from everything else. This is what I've got right now:

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin, drive to Giants Causeway, see G.C., Carrick-a-Reke Bridge, and Old Bushmill. Drive back to Belfast for the night.

Day 2: Drive to Connemara and see Kylemore Abbey, Connemara National Park, and spend the night in Clifden

Day 3: Drive to Galway, explore, spend the night in Galway. See Trad on the Prom (select nights)

Day 4: See Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, and drive to Dingle

Day 5: Explore Dingle area, Blarney Castle, etc. Drive to Dublin in PM

Day 6: Explore Dublin

Day 7: Explore Dublin

Day 8: Leave in AM

Is this too much? We want to see as much as possible since this might be our only chance, but also experience Ireland's charm. If it's too much, what do we cut out?? Also, any recommondations on places to stay, or things to do that I haven't mentioned?

I appreciate the help!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

Yes, you are cramming too much in. Prepare to spend practically all of Days 2 and 5 in your car. A major rethink is required.

As a famous writer on ce said of the Giant's causeway; it is worth seeing but not worth going to see

Edited: 26 July 2012, 03:26
Moline, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

I appreciate your response. What would you suggest? What are the "must see's"? We want to see and experience as much as possible. We're both pretty adventurous, we like good night life scenes (but for Ireland we're looking for more traditional pub-like scenes), we want to see some small towns and big cities, and we both love shopping. Please help us fix our itinerary!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

there are no must sees, only things you would like to see.

Day 5 cannot be done,if you are just driving to Dingle late on day 4, you would have to leave at breakfast to drive back to Dublin via Blarney. it is not worth driving to Dingle late one afternoon and leaving early the next morning, the best bit of the peninsula is the Slea Head drive which is past Dingle and takes as long as you want, I have done it in an hour, or if you really want to see things it takes all day. Either drop Dingle or Blarney.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

Day one? NO. driving further than Belfast off a transatlantic is madness.

That puts the rest of it into total disarray with 10 days the choice should be made north or south of the central M6 line between Dublin and Galway.

You only have 7 days and aim to spend 2 in Dublin so have only 5 for a road trip that will average between 35 and 45mph.

I suggest you either drop everything south of the M6 or everything north of the M6 and start from there.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
827 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

Hello. I agree that this is way too much. How badly do you want to visit Dublin? If it's not a top priority, drop that and spend that time seeing the beautiful Irish countryside. Tony is right about day 1, no way, and fuschiagirl about day 5. Consider looking at everything and then picking out 2 or 3 places that are your must see/do things for you each. You won't be able to see everything in 7 days and if you try you will be seeing alot of Ireland from your car with limited time to visit each site. And Tony is also right about going either north or south, which will give you more time to relax and enjoy your visit. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

wow, other posters are so right...day 1,2, and 5 just not doable....day 1 way to dangerous to try as was mentioned already....

don't know who told you that you couldn't miss giants causeway but i bet they had more than 7 days...i agree with nurse dude, maybe cut dublin and use it to see the irish countryside...you say you want cities and small villages but you have none of the latter in your plans....

Moline, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

Thanks for the input everyone! I think we've decided to drop Belfast and Giant's Causeway (everything north of M6) because there's just not enough time. This is both of our first trip out of the country, so I think we're overanxious to see as much as possible. Dublin is a priority. I think there's a lot to see. But I agree that the Irish countryside has a lot to offer. Where is a good place to stay or see between Dublin and Cork? The top things we want to see:

Dublin, Blarney Castle, Dingle, Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, and Connemara/Kylemore Abbey. We're both big into bike riding as well. Any suggestion for where to do that? Or the best small towns to explore? Shops, etc?

Basically I feel like I need to start my planning over because I want to see everything and don't know how to narrow anything down. :(

Help! And I really appreciate all the feedback!

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
827 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

Hello again. Dublin will take at least 2 full days, which leaves you with 5 days to see other places. You could see all the other places on your list, but you would be driving everyday always on the move. Maybe use Galway as a base, touring Connemara, The Burren and the cliffs as day trips. Or maybe go to Kilkenny after landing, a nice town close to both the Rock of Cashel and Cahir castle for 2 nights, make your way to Galway for 3, and then back to Dublin for the last 2 nights. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

9. Re: 7 Days In Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:15