We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Dublin to Trim and is advance purchase necessary?

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Topic
Bus Dublin to Trim and is advance purchase necessary?

Does bus #111 currently travel from Dublin to Trim and also from Trim to Dublin? I am having some difficulty on the Bus Eirann website confirming that we can make this journey both ways without a change of bus. When I look up route 111 it does seem to travel this route. But when I use the online journey planner it shows a change of bus for Trim to Dublin.

Also is it necessary for bus travel in August in Ireland to purchase tickets online in advance? Or can we show up at the bus station 30 minutes before and get a ticket? We are also traveling by bus eirann from Tralee to Galway in August.

Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Dublin to Trim and is advance purchase necessary?

Bus Éireann route 111 to Athboy/Delvin serves Trim en route (in both directions).

Timetable here: www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1307702393-111.pdf

It is not necessary to buy tickets in advance and even tickets bought in advance are just for a particular day and not for a specific bus departure time.

But tickets bought online are 5% cheaper than those purchased at a ticket office or from the bus driver. It is necessary to print off the e-mail confirmation and present it to the ticket office clerk/bus driver in exchange for the ticket(s). The ticket can be bought online the day of travel or months in advance.

Bear in mind there are three types of return ticket. A standard return valid for return travel any day within a month is the dearest. A midweek return is valid Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu and the return journey can be made any of those days within a month. A day return is the other type available.

If not buying online and starting a journey at Dublin Busáras (Central Bus Station) buy ticket from the ticket office or if late evening and the ticket office is closed just buy from the driver.

If travelling around a lot there are various passes available e.g. Open road three days in six pass for €57. These can be bought online or at stations (unlike ordinary tickets there is no difference in the price of passes purchased online and the price at stations).

Details: http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=279

For Tralee - Galway it's necessary to change at Limerick. It's possible to get a through ticket.

Timetables:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1308580331-13.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1290079257-X51.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1272287885-51.pdf

hope you have a pleasant trip.

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Dublin to Trim and is advance purchase necessary?

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Dublin to Trim and is advance purchase necessary?

I will be using the 111 service when I travel to Dublin for the day from Trim and VT thanks, I will print that out later on as it would be handy to have a copy of the bus timetable. I will probably just buy on the day from the bus driver.

4. Re: Bus Dublin to Trim and is advance purchase necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2013, 10:16