We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places in Ireland to travel by Foot, Rail and Car.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best places in Ireland to travel by Foot, Rail and Car.

I am traveling to Ireland and want to mix foot, rail and car but in the appropriate places so I get the most out of it. Though I am excited to drive there (more like roller-coaster excited) but I'd also like to sit back and relax on a train at some point too.

Time: September

Length: I am open but approx 9 days (also going to Scot and Eng for a few days)

Places I want to go: Dublin, Caven (family is from there), Ring of Kerry. The rest is totally up to suggestion.

Origin: I can fly into Belfast or Dublin... or even ferry it over from Eng/Scot. I don't plan to circle back, more like start in one place and end up in another, fly/train or ferry it back from there.

Ideas so far:

Foot: I'd like to spend 3-4 days in Dublin

Rail: Should I cross the midlands by rail? Is there a particular place where it would be better to relax on a train rather than drive?

Car: Maybe Ring of Kerry and Cork?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places in Ireland to travel by Foot, Rail and Car.

Yes, Dublin is easiest on foot or by public transport. If going to Cavan - especially if visiting remote rural areas away from towns in search of family, you would need a car. The scenic parts of Cork and Kerry are also easiest to access by car.

Maybe consider 2-3 days in Dublin on arrival, then Cavan for 1-2 days followed by a cross country trip to Kerry (possibly via Galway for an overnight stop). You could fly into Dublin and fly out from Shannon.

Given the places you want to visit, train does not fit easily into your schedule. Also note that a downside of arriving in Belfast is that any car hired in N. Ireland must be returned to N. Ireland unless you are prepared to pay significant repatriation costs. Also, while Belfast is convenient for Cavan, it does not fit readily with your plan to go to Kerry and Cork.

2. Re: Best places in Ireland to travel by Foot, Rail and Car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 10:16