We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conmacnois - worth the stop?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Conmacnois - worth the stop?

Good Morning!

I will be heading to Shannon later this month. We are planning to explore Sligo and Mayo this trip. On the way up, I was thinking of stopping at Clonmacnois in Offaly. Is it worth the stop? Do you think it is reasonable to get that far on our 1st day? (we get in at 10am) If so, can anyone recommend a nice place to stay in the area?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. I have been to Ireland before so I am aware of the jetlag and driving challenge.

Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Conmacnois - worth the stop?

Hi, If you go to Clonmacnoise, It is about 2 hrs drive from Shannon. So plenty of time you could then go and stay in Athlone, try the Hodson Bay hotel or abbey hotel in roscommon. Roscommon would possible be a good place to stay as it's well positioned for either Sligo or Mayo. Sligo city is about an hour from there, so depending on time you could even go all the way to Sligo on that first night. Boyle is also nearer to Sligo on the same route.

So tour sligo first and then continue on to Mayo leaving from Mayo to return to the airport.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
238 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conmacnois - worth the stop?

I thought Clonmacnois was well worth our time when we went there as a last-minute diversion on our cross country ride. As far as impressive ruins and tangible history, it doesn't get much better.

Cheers!