We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a hostel - Dollars or Euro?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Booking a hostel - Dollars or Euro?

I read on this site earlier about the 3.5% charge if you're charged in US dollars on your credit card instead of euros. Does this apply to hostels as well? I'm in the process of booking a few and of course have to pay a deposit - would it be better to charge in euros or does it not matter in this case?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking a hostel - Dollars or Euro?

I suspect that it would be better to pay in Euro - that way, the conversion rate is determined by your bank rather than by the hostel owner and is likely to be a better rate for you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking a hostel - Dollars or Euro?

thanks for the input! After further research, it turns out I'm also paying a lower service charge on the deposit if I pay in euro as well.

3. Re: Booking a hostel - Dollars or Euro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 05:17