We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed Itinerary recommendations

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed Itinerary recommendations

Our proposed itinerary for September in Ireland

Days 1 and 2 Dublin

Day 3 Dublin to Kinsale

Day 4 Kinsale to Kenmare (2 nights)

Day 5 Drive Ring of Beara and possibly visit Killarney Nat Park

Day 6 Drive from Kenmare via Ring of Kerry to Dingle

Day 7 Dingle to Burren via Shannon Ferry. Stay Burren Hostel (2)

Day 8 Cliffs of Moher, Doolin Cave, The Burren Nat Park etc

Day 9 Galway, Clifden Westport, Mayo Coast, Sligo OR Aran Islands

Day 10 Sligo to Derry

Day 11 / 12 Derry to Belfast

Day 13 Belfast to Dublin

Day 14 Depart Dublin 0700

Reading books, posts etc makes this seem possible, especiallyb as here in Australia we spend a lot of time travelling (on not so crowded or torturous roads)

Feedback or comments would be welcomed

Also advice as to B&B accommodation and as to whether we can base ourselves in one place for several days and travel out on day trips rather than change accommodation every day or two

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

Thanks for all the feedback as it gets the brain cells working

I am going to attempt to stitch together the ireland and the Norther ireland suggestions so that we get to see the best of both whilst still having time to enjoy the food the wine and the song and to enjoy the best that the beautiful Irish population have to showcase their country

I want to do this so that we get to see the best (if this is our only trip to ireland) or to check out what is on offer if we return

I will post my stitched itinerary soon and hope to get lots of comments /critiques

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

Hi Sarnia G., if you had to limit your proposed itinerary (which looks great!) to 9 days, which sites/towns would you leave off of the list?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

Hi all, I was also considering this itinerary for our 9 day trip. What if we stayed two nights in each of these areas: Dublin, Kenmare, Dingle, Galway, Clifden?

If we drive through Cashel to Kenmare after our Dublin stay, will we regret not exploring the Cork/Kinsale area? Are there any other spots that we are leaving out that are highly recommended?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

i am still working on my upended itinerary going in an anticlockwise direction. The more I look the more I think that we will just follow our noses and find B&B accommodation when we are ready to stop for the day. That will give us flexibility and if we dont get as far as the south west a good reason to come back again some time (although the trip from Perth Australia is long and tiring!)

What I would like is some B&B recommendations that are just outside Belfast so that we can leave the car at the B&B and catch public transport into Belfast. Any suggestions for a B&B that fits the bill?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

Are you adverse to driving in Belfast totally?

Tara Lodge is a great B&B (well in between a B&B and hotel) and has free carparking.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

I agree with Ponaire - you don't have a lot of time, would recommend staying in Belfast.

I've stayed at Days Hotel in the city center - inexpensive, with free parking:

http://www.dayshotelbelfast.co.uk/

Edited: 23 August 2012, 18:35
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

Ok, I've had a thought. I haven't quite got my head around when exactly you arrive in Belfast but looking at your itinerary, I would suggest that you will take the Causeway Coastal route (southbound) from the Causeway area to Belfast. The final town you come to on this is Carrickfergus approx 12 miles from Belfast. It is a coastal town with famous well-preserved Norman castle and St Nicholas church.

Anyway, it is a commuter town for Belfast with good train and bus services.

There are two popular budget/reasonably priced hotels here - you will find reviews on TA. I haven't stayed in either but a work colleague had family members stay at the Clarion and they were pleased with it:

http://www.clarioncarrick.com/

premierinn.com/en/hotel/CARFER/carrickfergus

Then when you're going to Dublin, you go on the M2/M5 to Belfast, then follow signs for Westlink and you're on to the M1 for Dublin. It is well signed. This would avoid any city centre driving if you really want to avoid it.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 19:02
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

My wife, who will be driving, is concerned about city driving. I feel that once there she will be more comfortable about the thought of negotiating the city traffic, although reports do seem to indicate that Belfast does have some traffic issues.

We are actually landing in Dublin and spending two days (car-less) in the city. We then pick up a vehicle (on a Wednesday)and drive around Ireland in an anticlockwise route.

From Newry would we be best to take the coastal route through Downpatrick, ferry to Portaferry, Bangor, Holywood, Carrickfergus; OR the inland through Armagh, Dungannon, Cookstown,Randalstown, Carrickfergus.

The reason I thought of the inland route was we would be predominantly hugging the coast for the rest of the trip and spending little time inland

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

Hmmm....I'm not sure I would go from Newry to Belfast via Co. Tyrone - that would be the long way.....

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Proposed Itinerary recommendations

They are both horrendously long ways just to avoid the westlink.

Going the first way (Armagh, Cookstown) takes 2.5 hours - and most of us advised adding minimum 10% to AA routeplanner times and to be honest has little to recommend it.

The second route is even longer! AA estimating 3 hours (so you need to add more!) but is scenic in places using the ferry and travelling up Strangford lough. If you want to go that route, you could stay in Bangor instead as it is a major commuting town to Belfast. I can't help with B&Bs there - but post on the Northern Ireland forum or look under B&Bs/Hotels in Bangor for reviews.

Or as you want to avoid driving anywhere near Belfast you could keep to the main motorway (Newry to Belfast) and stay at the Premier Inn, Lisburn although the location wouldn't particularly appeal to me but it should be fairly convenient.

www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/LISTAB/lisburn

I need to check bus/train ease from here but it should be easy enough as Lisburn is another major commuting city for Belfast. There is also a park and ride in this area so I can try and find out about that for you.

Then if you really want to avoid driving anywhere near Belfast, you can go Lisburn-Antrim-Templepatrick-Larne and join the Causeway Coastal route there.

With Bangor/Hollywood, you will still need to drive via Belfast really to get to the Causeway Coastal route but if you avoid rush hour, it is easy enough to do as you go onto the M3 then M5.

Edited: 24 August 2012, 07:16