We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No reservations?

Manteno, IL
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
No reservations?

Hubby and I will be driving through southwest Ireland from Oct 5-10. We are interested more in seeing your beautiful countryside and people rather than museums and historical sights. Would it be feasible for us to travel without making BB reservations ahead of time? Since we like to wander, I would rather not have to get somewhere by a certain time. Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No reservations?

It really shouldn't be a problem in October. It's outside peak tourist season, yet almost all B&Bs and hotels will be open. It's generally outside the festival season and not a popular time to get married. Basically, there's nothing to fill the capacity. In fact, you may get some good rates.

Having checked festivals, it is the Cork Folk Festival from 4th to 7th of October, which fits into your target area of the SouthWest. This is unlikely to fill the city's rooms up, but it might be no harm in having a reservation if you're in Cork at that time. NB This is just in Cork City and will have no impact in West Cork or other parts of Cork County.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No reservations?

You'll be fine :-)

You might want to research some places here on Tripadvisor if you have a particular route in mind, just so you have some telephone numbers to hand. That's what I did for Ballyvaughan this month, and I had no problems finding a really nice guest house at the last minute.

If you're planning on visiting Dingle, the food festival takes place Thursday 4th - Sunday 7th October:

http://www.dinglefood.com/

Canada
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No reservations?

You may want to do some tentative research on BB's before. One of the ones I am staying at in September closes Sept 30

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,018 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No reservations?

No problem, come and wing it you'll enjoy.

Manteno, IL
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No reservations?

Thanks for your input! Since we like to wander and travel without a set schedule, we will most likely just " wing it! " I think weather will have a big influence how where and how far we can go!

6. Re: No reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:15