We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recommendation's?

Bakersfield
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Any recommendation's?

Planning a trip in the spring to Ireland and Scotland and I'm curious what the forum here recommends as far as planning the trip? Should we go through a travel agency? If so, any recommendations?

Is this something we can book and travel ourselves? Any place we can't miss? Should avoid? Just getting started and figured this is the best place to get pushed in the right direction. Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recommendation's?

No problem planning yourself. I have seen some reasonable and many terrible itineraries constructed by "travel agents"

How long do you have? Do you have an idea of places to see, things to do ?

Bakersfield
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recommendation's?

We're planning on taking 10-14 days. We're still investigating, but we definitely want to spend sometime near Dublin, would like to go to Waterford, Newgrange, Dingle, maybe some golfing, etc.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recommendation's?

It would be possible to put together 8 days in Ireland 6 in Scotland. I would recommend an open Jaw approach possibly starting by flying into Glasgow or Edinburgh and then over into Shannon so you see some of the west before running round to Dublin for a flight back. Baggage would be limited by the "local" carrier between the two islands.

Cork, Ireland
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any recommendation's?

I would just hop in the car and do the tour yourself :) You can stop off whenever and wherever you wish. Try DiscoverIreland for trip planning routes. As regards places to visit, take a look through some of my posts here http://gotireland.com/places-to-visit/

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
306 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any recommendation's?

I am in the final stages of planning just such a trip this oct. You can see the entire planned itinerary on irelandyes.com. After reading that, if you have specific ?'s I would be happy to try to help!

Rvflyer

6. Re: Any recommendation's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 05:19