We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

Appleton, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

Traveling in early September and looking for input on cell service. Have an iphone so the option to change out Sim card won't work. What is next best option? Have also rented a car and very interested in insurance options. Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

You can buy pay-as-you-go type cellphones pretty cheap and just pay for the minutes/text you use. Not sure if that suits you though, if you wish to call back home or not.

As regards rental insurance, you can purchase it at time of rental. You can find some more info here

gotireland.com/2012/01/13/driving-in-ireland/

Enjoy!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

You can get inexpensive mobile phones from the Tesco supermarket chain. These are pre-pay phones and offer cheap rates for calls to the US though local calls may be a bit more expensive.

On rental car insurance, you will normally have to purchase insurance from the rental company as most insurance for rental cars as offered in the US does not extend to some overseas locations such as Ireland. CDW insurance is more or less obligatory. Super CDW insurance is sold as optional but if not taken out, the rental company will normally take a deposit of circa €1000 - 2000 and hold it pending return of the car on a damage free basis. This in practice means that your credit card limit is reduced by the amount of the deposit for the duration of your trip. CDW insurance covers your liability but is subject to an excess or amount for which you re liable of circa €1000-€2000. Super CDW reduces this liability to zero for most incidents and damage.

Victoria, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

Thank you for your comments.. We are traveling to Ireland in October and am seeing a number of "red flags" regarding Car Rental Companies... Seems Scams are a common practice(supplying vehicles which are malfunctioning and charging huge amounts for repair)... so we are either not going or will take buses / trains... Is their a Car Rental Company that is trustworthy?????--- Budget is not/ County is Not........... the more I read the longer the negative options................any positive experiences????????

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

Do Not believe half of the garbage posted against car hire companies. There are 1000's of cars rented out every month across the board in Ireland and a handful of complaints. You will also see that 95% of complaints against car hire companies are raised by people who booked their rentals through 3rd party agents who did not give then the facts. Then there are complaints from people who damage cars and think they should be let off the cost of the damage.

Take out the full Insurance including Super CDW. Book direct with the Hire companies themselves and you will become one of the 1000's of happy visitors who depart problem free.

Wakarusa, KS, USA
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

I am happy with the quote and service I received from easytourireland.com and have also recommended them to several others who have had good reports from their experience. Check it out! They use Hertz and offer ALL insurance coverage.

Victoria, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

Thank You for the Info.............Booking Direct is great advice ...........But easytourireland.com is a Third Party .....a bit of a contradiction-what do you think Tony?????... So Hertz is a company some have been happy with-- any others????

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

Easytours is as I understand it a subsidiary of Hertz ie. part of the same corporate company. This is a fairly unique approach started this year and has as far as I am aware been quite successful.

On a Personal level until recently I had rented trouble free for 30years from Budget. UK and Ireland. I also recommend Dooley based on reports from people I know and or trust.

As said just know what you are buying.. How much you will pay at the collection desk including the Fuel policies and All insurances. just imagine you have mortgaged the house to buy the car you are renting check the prices and when you collect the car inspect it, especially if you opt not to buy the Super CDW.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

We are leaving in 2 weeks and renting a car. We book through Dooley's rental company - it came highly recommended and had much better rates than any of the U.S. companies. We paid for it in US dollars. I'll let you know if we run into any problems, but I am confident that all will be well!

Victoria, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

Much Appreciated -------- thank you jp

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell Phones and Car Rental Insurance

The better established companies e.g. Hertz, Avis, Budget etc do not scam you but they do not always make it easy to understand the full cost implications of the rental contract. I suspect that many complaints are from customers who have not read the small print in their contracts (of which there can be copious amounts) and who are shocked to find that they have underestimated the full cost of the rental when matters such as Super CDW are taken into account.