We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Dublin to Killarney

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Dublin to Killarney

Any recommendations for stops along the way from Dublin to Killarney? I was thinking the Rock of Cashel as a drive by, not necessarily a stop and a stop at the the castle in Cahir? Also any restaurant recommendations? We would like to be in Killarney by about 6pm if that's possible.

Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Dublin to Killarney

The drive will be clode to 4 hours, so Cashel and Cahir are likely to fill the rest of the day.

Other possible stops are

- Kilkenny - Because of the different routes it's a bit of an either or with Cashel, but can be combined with Cahir

- Any of many attractions in the Cork area - Blarney Castle, Fota, Cobh, Kinsale, Cork City

As regards food, it depends on which route you take.

Going via Cork, Cork and Kinsale have many choices for food, while The Mills Inn in Ballyvourney is often a popular stop, if a little close to Killarney.

Going via Mallow, your best bet is to stop in Mallow itself. There are a few decent restaurants in the town, mostly clustered around the main street and near the entrance to the castle.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,641 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Dublin to Killarney

Alternatively and more directly you could drive the M7 - N21 which is the route the AA recommend.

There are a number of very interesting attractions not far off the motorway, including the following:

Newbridge Silverware www.newbridgesilverware.com

The Irish National Stud and Japanese Gardens irishnationalstud.ie

Adare Village www.adarevillage.com

There are restaurants in all three areas. The Dovecot in Adare Heritage Centre is nice for a coffee in the afternoon.

Mac's Restaurant on Main Street in Killarney is lovely. www.macsofmainstreet.com

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Dublin to Killarney

Your proposed route would not be the fastest way of getting to Killarney. I drove it very recently - Dublin to Mitchelstown is motorway, both Cashel and Cahir are just off this motorway. But Mitchelstown to Killarney is slow - I was only able to average 45 MPH - it can be a frustrating road, but if you are not in a hurry, then that doesn't matter. But allow 2 hours for that section of the journey, and Dublin to Cahir, a bit less than 2 hours. Bean A's route recommendation is a much easier journey, which I did on my return to Dublin from Killarney. Not much point really, in just driving by the ROC (you will have to leave the motorway to do this), it requires a visit (allow 2 hours and take the guided tour for a better understanding of its history). Likewise, Cahir Castle requires a guided tour to appreciate the history of the place - allow another 2 hours. I've been to both recently and found them very interesting. I would also recommend the Swiss Cottage in Cahir, for a visit to a very unique small houes, and give yourself about 2 hours for that also. If you intend to visit them all, and want to be in Killarney by 6PM, then I suggest a good early start from Dublin

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Dublin to Killarney

The route via Mallow is only really to be recommended if you want to see some of the parts of Ireland that tourists don't really get too (by and large the only tourists who go to north Cork are anglers). If using the M8 to see Cashel and Cahir, you're better off continuing to Cork and using the N22 to Killarney. That way you get dual-carriageway for all but the last 60km. The route via Limerick is most direct, but misses Cashel and Cahir.

5. Re: Drive from Dublin to Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:17