We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

Bremerton
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

We will be traveling in Ireland in April of 2013 and are planning on driving the Ring of Kerry in the clockwise direction from Kenmare and then driving to Dingle to spend the night.

The next day we plan on driving the Dingle loop and taking the Tarbert ferry to Killmer and driving up the coast to Doolin for another overnight.

After the overnight in Doolin, we will do the Cliffs of Moher, a bit of the Burren, drive through Galway and westward to Kylemore Abby and then eastward to Westport for another overnignt. Is this too much territory to cover in three days? We plan to go on to Northern Island from Westport and end our driving in Belfast.

1. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 September 2012, 21:06
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,361 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

The Ring to Dingle is a heck of a lot of driving. To do any justice at all to the ring, you'd need about 8 hours.I think you need to cut something from the itinerary or you will only see Ireland through the windscreen.

Do the Ring or Dingle.For three days you need to pick one area, not the whole coastline!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

If you go clockwise on the Ring from Kenmare to Dingle you will miss out on the wonderful drive from Kenmare to Killarney and Torc Waterfall and Muckross Gardens.

Generally it is recommended that you drive the Ring Anti-clock and this is the way we always do it.

As Tony has stated, your trip is very rushed and to be honest, you will see more of the roads than the country.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

Should read Killarney and Counter-clockwise to start my answer above. Same way the Tour bus's go and so avoid face to face encounters on narrow sections and bends.

Dingle to Doolin is a typical tourist run, from There to Westport round via Kylemore is another rush, It is all possible as a road trip but Westport to Belfast needs a couple of days via the north coast.

Looks like a rush to me but its your trip.

Have removed my answer No1 ?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

Just back from travelling on both of them recently. The ROK, Killarney to Killarney, anti-clockwise, took me three days - and I could have spent more time there - having decided to stop and start on the journey, as I pleased, including a trip over to Valencia Island. Then I spent three days in Dingle including the Slea Head Drive and the Connor Pass. Yes, you will have driven them, but will you have experienced them?

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

FenlaDublin

"Yes, you will have driven them, but will you have experienced them?"

A very salient point ,,,,,,, Whats the mad rush for ?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

We just returned from doing a similar trip as well, and I agree with the previous posts that what you're planning is a heck of a lot of driving in three days. I do think your plan to drive the Ring of Kerry clockwise is good, but you need a full day to drive the Ring and without driving through Killarney National Park you are missing out. The drive from Kenmare to Dingle took us a good 3 hours so do that AND the Dingle loop AND driving up to Doolin all in one day? Way too much. You will be rushing the whole thing and not really experiencing it.

As for doing the Cliffs and the Burren then onto Galway in one day -- that I think is totally doable. But getting all the way from the Cliffs in the morning to Westport that same night... a LOT of driving there. I would spend that night in Galway instead or you are going to be spending your entire trip in the car.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

To Laura- you have misread the OP- they want to do the RK and drive to Dingle. The next day - they plan to drive the loop then go up to Doolin.. Perhaps they are planning to see Killarney before they get to Kenmare

Bremerton
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

Thanks for all your input. I will add a third night stay at our B&B in Killarney so we can do the RK, spend the night in Kilarney and drive to Dingle the next morning and dp the loop and speend with an overnight tin Dingle.

After the overnight in Dingle, we still plan on driving to Doolin, but will probably overnight in Galway before going on to Westport. Do you think this will make the trip more enjoyable and less rushed?

After Westport, we have always planned to spend a night or two in Donegal and then on to Portstewart for an overnight before touring the Giant's Causeway and the Antrim coast before going on to Belfast.

10. Re: Isdriving the Ring of Kerry & then on to Dingle too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 10:16