We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

I am looking for some good TA feedback on a possible trip to Ireland. My goal is to take a family member on a short trip. We can't do anything very grand or very long but I ran across an air/car/lodging package to Ireland for $899 pp from NY. The actual cost would be $200 - $300 pp more given our dates and departure from Chicago but still very affordable. I have traveled a fair amount out of the US; he has only been to Mexico.

The trip is through AerLingus Vacation Store and consists of 1 night in Dublin (Dunboyne Castle), 2 nights in Roscommon (Kilronan Castle), 2 nights on Newmarket-on-Fergus, County Clare, (Dromoland Castle), and 1 night back in Dublin (Fitzpatrick Castle). This seems to describe a circle through the middle of Ireland of about 5 - 600 miles.

What I would like to know is whether this is an interesting enough area or if we will feel as though we have missed too much of the "good stuff" the country has to offer; whether the good price is a good deal. I realize the hotel/castles may not be castles and that we may be terrifyingly bad left-side drivers but would like to hear from TA folks who know more than I.

Thanks.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

I say: go for it!

If you are happy with the price and it's your first trip to Ireland, wherever you go and whatever you see is going to be 'good stuff'!

A bonus that you are not moving to new accommodation every night.

Not all of it includes all the so-called 'must sees' but it's none the worse for that!

When are you thinking of traveling?

Edited: 05 September 2012, 16:02
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,608 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

Its a nice taster with some excellent accommodation.

You'll get a good overview of the country and you cannot be any worse a driver than some of the eejits I've come across on the roads in the last few days (steam coming out my ears and a smile on my face!!)

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

Be aware that neither Dunboyne Castle nor Fitzpatrick Castle are in central Dublin. Dunboyne Castle is about 12 miles from central Dublin - about 30 minutes by car or maybe nearer 60 minutes by bus. Fitzpatricks is in Killiney in south suburban Dublin, a similar distance from the city centre but with better public transport options to the city centre. Both hotels are good and in pleasant locations but neither are particularly convenient if you are intent on visiting the "must sees" in downtown Dublin.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

There is now a commuter rail service from Dunboyne into the city

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

Thanks for the all good info. Having read an awful lot of Irish crime fiction, Bean A, I can't tell you how tickled I was to have an exchange with the word "eejit" in it.

Uasal, trip is scheduled for March 24 for eight days. I added two days since that was only $200 more. (I say "only" but I've gotten pretty far from the $899 that drew me to the offer initially). This adds 2 days in Cong. Brother lives in Chicago so cold won't bother him but i'm much farther south so I expect to be cold.

As I read thru this forum, I saw numerous complaints abt Dan Dooley auto rentals and that is the company the package uses. Any tips for sorting problems in advance? Also, does the $228.00 I paid for "VIP" auto insurance satisfy the insurance requirements for driving in Ireland? I haven't gotten a clear answer on that.

Thanks again. This Ireland forum seems especially good.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,608 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

Goerr, just be aware that you Easter will fall during the last few days of your visit.

Good Friday is a difficult day here. Many of the supermarkets ARE open (they usen't to be). However a lot of the paying attractions will be closed and unless you are staying in a hotel, you will find it nigh on impossible to have a pint. No music either!!

But Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday are fine.

Dan Dooley doesn't seem to be problematic per se, its just the 3rd party agents who engage him on behalf of others that seem to be problematic. There are a number of people here who have had very positive experiences with Dan (I feel I know him personally at this stage lol!!) including people who have gone on a drive package.

There's a saying here "March comes in like a lamb and out like a lion or in like a lion and out like a lamb". Bascially, if its good at the start its likely to be bad at the end and vice versa. So, check back here before you leave and we'll tell you what it MIGHT be like. In the meanwhile, take a look at the national weather forecaster's website www.met.ie

If you're in Cong, you'll have to visit Kylemore Abbey www.kylemoreabbey.com its absolutely beautiful. Cong itself isn't huge - I'm assuming you're staying in Ashford Castle as there isn't much more in Cong...... www.ashford.ie

Glad you enjoyed the word eejit :o)) You'll hear a lot of it about, often prefixed with the word "fec kin" before it - if you've been reading books with eejit in them, then I don't need to translate ;o)

Enjoy the planning.

7. Re: Advisibility Of Trip to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 10:17