We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

Hi all,

I am completing a thesis at the moment on "Barriers to implementing sustainable measures within 5 star hotels" and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Would you look at sustainability within a hotel before price and location?

If so, why, and if not, why not???

Any info of any variety is welcomed.

Thanks!

Edited: 06 September 2012, 12:45
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

Your enquiry might be best answered by the Irish Hotels Federation (IHF), they have first hand information about the industry.

All you will get here are peoples opinions.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

Its peoples opinions I am looking for, I have already been in touch with all of the other organisations.

I am looking for some first hand information from the people themselves.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

Okay, then specify your 'few questions' about sustailability and we will try to help you.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

What is your definition of sustainability within the hospitality industry? Hotels that change hands every few years do not usually get 5 star ratings from consumers, travel publications or industry insiders.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

When you check into a 5 star hotel and you are paying €220 B&B per night for a room, do you feel aware that you should switch off the lights when not in use? Do you feel the same way about energy usage as you would if you were at home?

Would you be inclined to expect higher standards for the money you are paying?

Would you be annoyed if the toilet paper was of recycled variety within a 5 star hotel? Etc....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

If I were to spend a lump more than a weeks Disability Allowance on a single nights B&B I wouldn't give a second thought to their running costs.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

In the interests of the sustainability of my bank account I wouldn't be paying €220 per night in the first place

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

I don't get much 5 star luxury these days....but, yes I do like to see recycled packaging in hotels, recycled toilet paper is fine and I also like it when they have the policy of getting people to place used towels into the bath so that all of the towels, even the unused ones, aren't sent off to be unnecessarily cleaned.

I also like it when they have large bottles of a really good quality shower gel and shampoo attached to the shower so that everybody uses the bottles until they are gone (Bellinterhouse house springs to mind with this and they use lovely natural seaweed products from Voya in Sligo).

I wouldn't be so concerned about their energy costs though and wouldn't be as worried about them leaving the immersion on as I would be at home lol :-))

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

To be honest, OP, these days most of us here don't have €220 to spend on a single night's accommodation.

And the demographic of those who can consistently spend that much is pretty different from the rest of us.

Premier Travel Inn have had this eco friendly policy for some time now. It saves them money, it keeps costs down for the punter and it saves the planet. And its not a biggie to implement.

And regarding light switches - what I'd love in ANY grade of hotel is a sound limiter on the TVs so that you don't have to listen to next door's news bulletins at 6am.

But how many establishments of any star rating use solar power? We have a panel on our roof and even on cloudy days we are generally getting enough hot water for us all to shower without using the immersion. And on warm days (like today) we can almost have too much water.

Similarly how many of these places have to be insulated and have BERs?

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sustainable 5 star hotels - A few questions

To be honest, all I am wondering about is people's opinions on whether or not they are aware environmentally when they stay in hotels or whether they expect the standards that they are paying for.

The guests are one of the main barriers in 4 and 5 star hotels as to why they cannot cut costs in certain areas as they expect high standards throughout their stay.

I know this because I work in the industry and have seen and heard it first hand.

Any more opinions very welcome. Its good to get the feedback.