We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smelly food on journeys ....

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Smelly food on journeys ....

Upon reading kobekeith's report it prompted a few memories. Most recently, a flight we took from Dublin to Gatwick, at 06:40. A family produced their breakfast in board of white rolls containing onions. Now these onions had the aroma of an onion who'd been "sliced since last night, and have leaked my juices into the now-soggy bread in a plastic bag" .Yes this family were numerous, and goes without saying that the were all seated in front, behind, same side, across aisles as our little onion-free group.

We spent most of the DUB -GTW leg trying not to breathe, hoping for some strange reason the masks would fall and we'd be spared by using the life saving equipment available!!!

Hit to GTW,alive but nauseous and continued to our next point. Took an elevator , with whom??? Yes the onion people! The vapor now filled the

lift. (eyes watering) Got to the gate of our connecting flight.... Oh no, there's the onion people, and guess what, they're still eating wet onions from plastic bags and soggy bread. 😝. We watched with beady eyes as we boarded the long haul flight, "please God do not allow us to be near the onion family" we pleaded. Even crossed our fingers and said it out loud.

IT WORKED. !!! Saw them about ten rows up , just far enough away for the air con to take the noxious aroma , before it drifted our way.

Please please people, think of others..... No onions, hard boiled eggs, curried eggs, stinky meats..... Stick to a muffin and coffee😃pleeeaassssseeee

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,641 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

Also, no "smelly crisps" - there are some VILE smelling ones on the market that my son likes and which have been banned from my car.

Also, if you are travelling in the close proximity of others please do them the courtesy of having a shower and washing your hair before you travel and using a reasonably effective deodorant. And please brush your teeth. I've had the displeasure of travelling in the vicinity of those who have been "hygienically challenged" and it ain't pretty!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

Hi Bean.............

Hygienically challenged!!!!!!!!!! Love it !!

And yes Cheese n Onion crisps in the car...yuk!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,641 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

Hi Bikies,

Onions I love and I'm a cheese and onion crisp afficionado (but no it wasn't me on that plane with you :o)) ) Its the Mexican style ones that come in bright orange and blue bags that do it for me.

The kids will hear a roar of "Oh No! Not the smelly crisps - you're not eating THOSE in MY car!!". Hubby is more tolerant in his car so I spray myself liberally with perfume.

Someone I know works in a public office where there is ample opportunity to encounter the "hygienically challenged". The office now has a communal bottle of (nice) perfume that gets sprayed at strategic moments ;o)

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

I can't stand the taste or the smell of strong crisps, although that said, cheese and onion are quite nice, but I wouldn't eat them around anyone. If I have a packet I have a couple of mints afterwards;) The ones that I can't stand is the smell of pickled onion crisps, they are horrible!!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

I once was on a three-week tour with about 20 different nationalities represented on the bus. I will never forget the two Chinese couples (very nice people) munching dried fish every day. Apart from the smell there was the sound of teeth crunching for hours on end...

And then there's the smell of chips with vinegar, oh gawd! This makes your eyes smart and is enough to turn you off chips forever.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
4,964 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

I was about to mention the "dried squid" smell we get here in Japan.

I actually rearranged my entire summer vacation after falling ill from food poisoning in Estonia several years ago. I was meant to head to Latvia by bus from Tallin and then to Lithuania but there was a heat wave and the body odor & heavy cologne smell mixed together on short public transport rides within Tallin was making me feel worse so I figured a long, long bus trip would kill me. I went to a travel agent and had a person there find me a flight to anywhere else. I flew to Berlin for a few days before catching a train to Warsaw.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

Are crisps the same as our potato chips?

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
4,964 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

Our fries are their chips and our chips are their crisps.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

Some things are perfectly fine to smell if you are the one eating them but second hand Dorito fumes are down right poisonous. And as much as I love peanut butter smelling it second hand, not so much.

Can't imagine flying with the onion people! Yuck!

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smelly food on journeys ....

When travelling from our area of the northeast USA we often bring a food item not available to relatives in central Florida. With the strong garlic aroma wafting from my carry-on, I could easily recoup the cost of the trip by selling the pizza strips to the passengers of the no frills flight!