We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

Orange County CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

I wanted to share my experience so that others do not get caught in a similar situation. I booked a car hire thru Irishtourism.com with "Irish Car Rental". When I arrived at the rental counter with confirmation in hand I was told they could not honor the reservation as they were out of cars. After some urging with a manager, they agreed to try to reassign my reservation with another company. The other companies viewed this as a walk-up, and we quoting rates 2-3 times what I originally booked with "Irish Rental Car". I ended up paying 2.5 times more to get a smaller car as the other company would not honor the original contract. When trying to resolve this after the trip - "Irishtourism.com" has distanced themselves from "Irish Car" and "Irish Car" says a reservation is not a guarantee. I have subsequently found out that "Irish Car" is a very small company that brokers reservations to "Sixt Rental Car" and "Dollar Rental Car", so they do not appear to have the inventory to handle all of thier bookings. Would advise folks to book DIRECTLY with reputable large inventory car hire companies like Hertz, Avis etc. and to AVOID "Irish Rental Car". Hopes this helps others understand they "players" in the growing and competitive car hire business in Ireland.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

Thanks for the warning. When did this happen to you? What kind of car were you reserving? I just booked with them last week! I will have to look at if I cancel can I get my deposit back!

Princeton, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

I rented a car through the same agency, out of Cork Airport, just this past March and had no problem whatsoever. Was also booked through Sixt. They were extremely helpful and fast and I got a very nice car. I also noticed that it seemed most of the people in the airport were picking up their rentals at that location. They must be doing something right. An experience like yours can understandably sour your opinion, but my experience with them was great. Was I lucky or did you hit them on an off day? With car rentals you never seem to know.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

Maybe it was a busy holiday weekend or the location where the car was booked from was snall and didn't have a large inventory. I would think they would have lots of cars for the major airports Dublin/Shannon.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

Has anyone had any experience with Argus Car rental? We would be picking up at Shannon Airport and dropping off at Dublin Airport.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

TN i used argus this past may and the service was great...but i don't think you will pick it up at the airport, unless that has changed since may they have a van that takes you over to their lot at no cost to you of course....

the folks were wonderful....

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

journey99 thanks for the heads up...i will make sure i inform my friends who travel to ireland every year so that dont' get caught up it this particular company...

now i would never advise anyone to use the majors, their price is alway tons higher than the irish rental companies, always, and there are quite a few of the irish companies that i have used repeatedly and never had a problem....companies such as argus, autoeurope, etc....i have also used dooley which i don't like as several of my friends and myself have had less than honest dealings with them....

again, thanks for the info....

Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

Thank you, oma14, and also to journey99. Everyone on this formum is so helpful and it certainly makes planning a trip easier!! Riding the shuttle to the rental office doesn't bother me, but I am glad to have this information ahead of time. I won't be wasting time looking for the office in the terminal. I sent my reservation to Argus.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

Thank you, oma14, and also to journey99. Everyone on this formum is so helpful and it certainly makes planning a trip easier!! Riding the shuttle to the rental office doesn't bother me, but I am glad to have this information ahead of time. I won't be wasting time looking for the office in the terminal. I sent my reservation to Argus.

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

That really is bloody awful. Never heard such rubbish about a reservation not being a guarantee!! If that was the case, we'd never leave our houses. Sorry to hear about your experience.

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
176 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Irish Car Rental Strong Warning

I have a reservation for June to pick up in Shannon and drop off in Dublin. This is with Irish Car Rental and I made the reservation last fall. At the time of the reservation, they charged a deposit in advance. I can't imagine that they would not honor a reservation that they had already charged a deposit (Euro 108) in advance.

Had you paid the deposit as well? It wasn't an option when I made the reservation. Non refundable deposits seem to be common in Ireland.