We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Trawler

Mullingar, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Car Trawler

COMPLETE RIP OFF.......................... So annoyed with this scam of a company,

I booked car rental for November for a holiday in UK, yesterday Ryanair emailed to say they could not fly me to my chosen airport,so I chose another one, I contacted cartrawer.......................wow.....

the original car hire was 60.00 for two days, they wanted 97.00 pound to change the pickup airport...considering I hadnt even paid that much for the rental I advised they should cancel the booking altogether, which they did, AND CHARGED ME 19.99................ WT..!..... I now have no car and down 19.99...... I told them they were rip of they said this is policy, goodbye car trawler.... I will advise anyone never to use this company.,

amazing, when theres a recession that companies ripping customers off are still trading..... madness

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Trawler

Nothing new then...once again a complaint about Irish car hire based on using a rental agent rather than going direct.

Sorry for your problem but Car Trawler are no better or worse than most 3rd party agents..Pays to go direct to the source in many cases.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,718 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Trawler

Sorry to hear of your experience. But one should always read and abide by, the T&C.

Canberra, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Trawler

I booked a VW Golf with CarTrawler, through Arguscarhire.com.au car rentals. The managed to get me a Nissan Note. The Golf has space for 5 passengers and 5 pieces of luggage. The Nissan, sourced from Europcar takes 5 passengers and no luggage as quoted by Europcar. Obviously not an equivalent to the Golf. On complaining they sourced another Golf for 19% extra on the rental price. This time I get a message from Thrifty saying that my Hyundai Accent is booked. Upon complaining to CarTrawler- through Arguscarhire.com.au- they advised me that the Hyundai Accent and the VW Golf are in the same class. Yeah right, I wonder if VW agrees with that! I asked for a cancellation. They said that it would cost me Euro 25. So I tried again. On their website was a VW Polo for $242, I applied for it. They replied that it will cost me $254. Ok just give me the car! I get a note from arguscarrental.com.au that my request has been cancelled. So I book a car with someone else. Then I get another message that the car rental is on again. Then I get a message from a company called Auto-Union- my Toyota Yaris has been booked. So when they promise car or similar-DON'T BELIEVE THEM. And when they promise FREE CANCELLATION- DON'T BELIEVE THEM. Why deal with such a company.....why did I even bother.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Trawler

There may be many problems with these agents, and Car Trawler more than most. But you booked a car and then cancelled, and paid the cancellation fee which was probably clearly stated in the T&Cs. Why on earth would you book a car for November, not a peak period in any part of of the world, 6 months ahead of time without checking the cancellation conditions?

Edited: 09 July 2013, 13:27
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Trawler

Again

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k663109…

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,174 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Trawler

"The Golf has space for 5 passengers and 5 pieces of luggage."

Hmmmm...maybe? Having just driven a Golf around Ireland, with just 2 of us in it, I don't know that I could see 3 people in the back seat unless it was just a short run into town or something. Or if they were all 3 children.

7. Re: Car Trawler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 10:05
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,465 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Trawler

first of all, this is not a malta forum!

secondly, car trawler is a booking agent, so they would not be present. your complaint should be against the rental company, not an agent.

thirdly excess insurance is pretty standard with ALL rental companies.

actually, I see that you have posted the same comment on other sites since july, so why post here?

Edited: 24 September 2013, 15:10
Maryland
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Trawler

nakagoli- are you going to complain that I mentioned Florida USA attractions on the Ireland forum as well on another posting ?

The above poster was responding to Car Trawler and their experience with Car Trawler. No crime committed.

Cheers to you as well,

Sunny

Budapest, Hungary
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Trawler

I have posted my comment here again because my EUR1000 access fee were never returned back! Apart from that Car Trawler were not helpful! So im making sure they get all the negative feedback they deserve!