1. I decided to do the R of K, even though I didn't think it would measure up to Beara, but given the drive is much different and no Healey's Pass, I did enjoy the views of the Atlantic and especially the Ring of Skellig. Much to the heresy of some people, I did the route clockwise (mainly because I was already in Kenmare. My plan was to go 1/2 way and retrace my routes stopping at some different places. It was Sunday- so maybe that's why it was not so busy, but really I did not meet much traffic until Waterville and then I did the Skellig ring, crossed the bridge to Valencia and then the ferry. (6 euros) Saw public toilets in Waterville and Portagee for those who need such things!
2. Also saw a boarder near Valencia- he said water was not too cold yet. So still time for people to enjoy it.
3. Found road on the west side of the ring, wider than the east.
4. Went on to Killarney- again very quite because it was nearing the start of the All Irish. Also started to rain. First rain since I arrived!! Now it can stop.
5. For those of you planning to dine in Kenmare on a Sunday be aware that the Lime Tree and Packies are both closed. A lot of disappointed people looking at other restaurants. I ate at No 35- was terrific with a good wine selection.
6. Monday, headed to Bunratty to spend the night before meeting my "tour" for the second week. Adare does not really merit some of the hype given to it. A few thatched houses, nice park but no access to the castle. Did find a great cafe that made a delicious latte.
7. It was still raining when I got to Bunratty but admission was only 9 euros for seniors and it was worth it to go up to the top and look out from the turrets. I did not go to the medieval dinner and after seeing the benches (no backs) -not sure if I would want to sit on them. It is not handicap accessible (the folk park is) unless I missed something. Anyone with mobility issues would not be able to climb the narrow winding stairs to the turrets either.
8. Dropped my car off in one piece this morning - 3/4 of a tank of diesel cost me 77 euros.. I will figure how many kms I travelled later, Just have to say that roundabouts are the most civilized invention on the roads!.
9. Met my specialized tour (14 people) for my second week- entire week is to be based out of Lisheen Castle near Thurles, Tipperary Co. More to come.