We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

CHANDLER, AZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

Well, I've been planning since January and the time is now here! I've got sort of a loose itinerary, and am looking for suggestions as to must see places/things, must eat at restaurants, and must hear music venues/pubs. I'm a SDF, 37. Attorney by day, singer and foodie by night. Here is my itinerary thus far:

Arrive Shannon 10-4.

4 nights in Galway, with plans to see Connemara, Westport, Sligo, Ballina. Maybe Donegal if I am really ambitious.

Then head to Dingle for 2 nights.

Kinsale for 2 nights.

Dublin 2 nights.

I've been to Ireland before, and the only repeat part of my trip is the Shannon area (saw the Cliffs, Bunratty, Blarney, Limerick) and Dublin. I did ROK last time, so doing Dingle/Slea Head drive this time.

So that being said... suggestions? I do have a car, BTW. Thanks in advance for any input.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

Donegal as an overnight from Galway fine but not as a day trip, even Sligo. Ballina and Westport using Galway as a base. Maybe split the 4 nights (which is too much for Galway anyway) especially as you are not looking to see the Clare coast,

Maybe Galway or close night 1, up to Balllina/Sligo nights 2&3 then Somewhere on the N/M 18 route down for night 4.

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

Would you consider taking one night from Kinsale and staying in possibly Kenmare ?.... allowing you access to the Beara peninsula or else somewhere like Clonakilty / Cobh....?.

http://clonakilty.ie/

http://visitcobh.com/

http://www.bearatourism.com/

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

Asking a "Foodie" to forgo Kinsale and its reputation is like asking me to say nice things about the Rick Steves guide book.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

@Tony2phones

Not so, Tony. As a dedicated foodie, and being involved in a food related business, I would rate Kenmare and Clonakilty to be every bit as good as Kinsale as food destinations, not to mention their other charms. Kinsale was undoubtedly the first to exploit the "good food" thing, but the realisation that Ireland has fantastic quality food has encouraged other towns to capitalise on this resource.

@DIANNE

One of the premier artisan food festivals takes place in Dingle over the weekend of the 6th/7th. I never miss it. The Food Trail is great fun and generates a wonderful buzz. I think that you would really enjoy it, and the food is not at all expensive.

Here is the link: www.dinglefood.ie

There is lots of good accommodation in Dingle to chose from. Higher end recommendations include: Castlewood, Emlagh House, Greenmount House and Pax House. Lots of music options too from traditional to jazz

Edited: 26 September 2012, 15:35
CHANDLER, AZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

You all are wanting to make me change my itinerary! My concern is splitting up my Galway stay, say maybe doing 2 there and 2 in Sligo/Donegal, is that I then need to drive from there to Dingle for the next leg of my trip. That's really far. I've stayed in Kenmare (on my last trip) which is why I'm opting to forgo it. What I was thinking was driving from Galway to Westport/Ballina one day, then to Sligo (and maybe onto Donegal) the next day. Too much?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

No not too far for a delivery driver but you are on Holiday?

I would as said above have one night near or in Galway on arrival and then a two night stay further north at a base for Westport, Achill, Sligo, Donegal, (possibly even Derry or Antrim?) Then split the drive back down.

This is of course what I would do but then its your holiday and if you want to spend up to 6 hours a day just driving then that's your choice.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

Kinsale isn't worth even one night, in my opinion, lunch in Fishy Fishy and head on to more interesting places!!Will you have a car?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
404 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

What's wrong with a night in Kinsale, generally speaking? I can understand maybe not going out of one's way to travel there, but why not stay the night there if you are already in town? We really enjoyed Kinsale. To each his/her own, I suppose.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

Absolutely, to each his own.

I have been to Kinsale many times, but have always found a half day or an evening to be enough. Personally, I find it a bit twee, less typically Irish and and sometimes a bit "up itself"..

My brother and his wife, on the other hand, adore Kinsale and make a weekend vsit at least once a year. So as you say, to each his own

Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo female traveller heading to Ireland next week! 10 days!

Have you been to Newgrange?single male here 39 if you want company for a nice meal.my shout. Lol