We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
313 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Hi everyone, we are considering revising our itinerary to spend 2 nights in Clare instead of Cork so that we may visit the Burren and Cliffs of Moher. (We're spending 3 nights in Kerry, and our last night in Newmarket-On-Fergus for the return flight from Shannon).

I'm looking for the best town that will have good restaurants and things to do in late November. Would Newmarket-On-Fergus be good for this purpose? I know it's an hour or so away, but it has Dromoland and Bunratty nearby and I really love Kells Country House. Or is it better to stay in Doolin, Ballyvaughan, Ennistymon, or Kilfenora? I'm not sure if those towns have enough going on during the off season to keep us busy at night, and I'm also slightly worried about being right on the coast and exposed to strong winds and bad weather.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Ennis is always my recommendation for County Clare as a whole. Consider Galway or Limerick as other possible bases with active evening time events. Off piste Killaloe/Ballina maybe? Gort is an option off the tourist trail or if its Friday night we have a caravan in the yard and a ceili over the road up here on the Sleive.

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
313 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Thanks Tony. What do you think of Ennistymon?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Nice old Market town set back a touch from the coast Falls Hotel is at the better end of accommodation good restaurant and bar on site, Bryens B&B/Resturaunt is a good alternative. Few good bars in town including Dalys, if Willy can't sort a suitor for you he might just sell you a horse ;-).

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

As Tony said, Ennis is a very good option, especially at this time of year.

There is an excellent selection of pubs and restaurants and you will probably find some trad sessions going on in one of the pubs.

However, if your heart is set on Newmarket-on-Fergus for the final night, then Ennis might be a bit too close,

Ennistymon is quite a good option if you don't want to be right on the coast and there a few nice pubs and restaurants there. The Cliffs and the Burren are quite accessible from Ennistymon too.

If you do decide on Ennistymon, Lahinch is just a short drive away and has some really nice pubs doing pretty good bar food.

Also, a walk along the prom in Lahinch is a great way to start the day!!(It is even more beautiful in Winter)

Edited: 27 October 2012, 21:27
Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
313 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Ha well I'm married and going to Ireland with my wife, so I'm more interested in a horse than a suitor anyway. :)

Anyone have thoughts about the Pairc an Fhia Deer Park? Seems to get wonderful reviews and is open in November during our visit. The Falls Hotel looks beautiful but the reviews are a little bit mixed, and we can always have dinner and drinks there and at Byrnes and Dalys.

And Tony I know you smartly advise people against planning long day trips to the Cliffs of Moher from Dublin and otherwise because of weather issues, but if we're staying nearby in County Clare for 2 nights and have 3 days to play with, we'll surely be able to enjoy the cliffs and the burren even if the weather is not perfect, right? We are really drawn to the Cliffs and Burren and very much want to make them a part of our holiday if possible.

Thanks again.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

I usually recommend that people staying mid west Clare see the cliffs in the late evening after everyone else has gone home but as it will be dark for 4pm that won't fit. You are though close enough to get to see them at a time to suit you and know what the weathers likely to be at short notice. The problem with trips from Dublin is that the Cliffs can be bathed in sunshine when a tour leaves Dublin but drowning in a storm for the 2 hours the tour has on the west coast..of course the driver will catch the rainbow in his rearview as the sun come back out again, too late.. Even late November its rare to get 2 days constant rain and cloud cover.

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
313 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Thank you Banner Girl, I always appreciate your insight. We are staying at the Kells Country House our last night in Ireland and are planning to do the Christmas feast at Bunratty Castle (I know it's super touristy, but I'm a tourist). :)

So for the first 2 days we're trying to be a little closer to the Cliffs of Moher/coast and Burren. Trying to minimize driving given the limited daylight in late November.

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
313 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Thanks Tony.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Doolin byu far - you can walk a path back to the main cliffs. - We stayed a Doolin Hostel - great little coffee cafe.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Town for Late November Visit to Burren/Cliffs of Moher

Sorry NYT Pairc an Fhia isn't a place I know but Deer Park might be on the limit for my walking distance (which isn't that great even before a drink).

mc2 Doolin has 2 bars and one (not briliant) place to eat so doesn't fit the requirements