We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for a month long trip

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for a month long trip

We're planning a month long trip to Ireland to arrive at the beginning of either the second or third weeks in May. We self-cater and will be staying at three different locations for a minimum of one week each. I'm wondering if I can get some advice on my choices.

The first week we will be in Donegal in Downings (Downies) near Carrickart. We are photographers and our main activity is light hiking and photography. I can't find alot of information about this area and am hoping someone can assist.

The second week we will move down to Letterfrack. It appears that there are many areas for photography down here as well as places that offer live music which is another of our interests.

The third and fourth weeks will be down in the Kenmare area. I understand that this is a very popular tourist area but am hoping that we'll be early enough in the season to not be overwhelmingly busy. It seems that we should be able to do day trips to the southeast as well as to the west from Kenmare and also the Ring of Kerry.

we are seasoned drivers in the UK so driving on the left and the narrow roads and wandering lambs isn't an issue.

Thanks for any advice!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

We particularly recommend Achill Island for some great photography, hiking and some fabulous beaches.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

Thanks! That looks great and seems to be about a 90 minute drive from Letterfrack. I really appreciate thew suggestion.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

http://www.donegaldirect.ie/

This will help with Donegal.

In a week, you'll be able to really explore Donegal. For light hiking, the Glenveagh National Park is good. You can always take a bus down and then walk further along from the castle. There is Bluestack Mountains are supposed to be very good for hiking further south but I haven't actually hiked there myself so don't know the terrain to know how easy it is to do some light hiking or whether you have to do proper mountain hiking.

Lots of great beaches for walking - e.g. Doagh Island in Inishowen, I love Maghera beach with its caves in the south of the County - that could be combined with Slieve League boat trip (or walk). There are loads so you will find some which appeal to you!

Ards Forest Park will be close by.

Quite a few castle ruins, waterfalls, glens, stone walls, old ringforts, dolmens etc and great coastal landscape (lots of signed drives) for photography. Don't miss the views on a clear day from An Grianan Aileach at Burt near Letterkenny. I also like Tory island which I think is well worth a day trip if you get good weather. One of my favourite views (not sure that it would photograph well) is going from Glenveagh into the Poisoned Glen when you look down and see the little church and a few houses in the valley below. Don't know why but I always love it.

I could go on and on but that link should help!

But I'm going to also say that I think with a week, you should include at least a day trip to Northern Ireland to explore some of the Causeway Coastal area. You could also consider a separate half day trip say to include an Grianan Aileach and Derry. Walk the city walls, photograph the political murals, walk the peace bridge etc....

http://www.derryvisitor.com/

The Causeway area is possible as a day trip with some great photo opportunities (Mussenden Temple viewed from the beach, Dunluce castle including inside, Giant's Causeway of course, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge and any number of walks although you may be pushed for time so keep it to some nice beach walks e.g. White Rocks, harbour views (Ballintoy) and walking around the Causeway itself.

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

www.walkni.com/Walks.aspx…

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

Hope that gets you started for week 1 anyway!

Edited: 27 October 2012, 19:21
Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

If you are keen on photography, nearby Letterfrack you should consider exploring Connemara National Park, visiting the mystical Kylemore Abbey and taking a ferry to the traditional and unspoilt Aran Islands.

On your way south, it would be a great idea to stop in the famous Cliffs of Moher; whether it’s cloudy, foggy or sunny, you can’t take a bad photo here! The Burren could also be a good place to stop for a few shots with its extraordinary array of flora and wildlife, megalithic tombs, monuments and unusual landscape!

Kenmare is a good choice for photography lovers. Right in the heart of the stunning Ring of Kerry and nearby the beautiful Killarney National Park, this area is full of misty lakes, majestic mountains and wild nature!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

Downings itself is a little bit tacky to be honest - despite a nice beach and pier, it's a bit swamped by caravans and soso holiday homes. Carrigart is somewhat better as a village with more shops and cafes than Downings - that said, both locations are quite small.

However, the surrounding areas offer great opportunities for photography - Ponaire has mentioned a few already including Glenveagh and the Poisoned Glen at the back of Errigal. There are some lovely places on the north coast in and around Downings and Carrigart including the loop around Horn Head, the Rosguill peninsula (above Downings) and Fanad which is accessible by the new bridge from just south of Carrigart.

The central parts of Donegal are quite bleak but visually amazing (assuming good light and no rain) - head south from Carriagart to the little village of Glen and then explore the area to the south and east of Glen around Lough Salt mountain. You'll find a great little pub in Glen called (not surprisingly) the Glen Bar - a great spot in which to chill out after a day wandering the nearby hills.

Edited: 29 October 2012, 14:35
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,361 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

"On your way south, it would be a great idea to stop in the famous Cliffs of Moher; whether it’s cloudy, foggy or sunny, you can’t take a bad photo here"

*Snorts*If it's cloudy or foggy at the cliifs, perhaps you suggest they take pictures of the fog???Tourism Ireland, are you actually the official Tourism Ireland? If so , you need to start being a bit more accurate and truthful with some of your posts.Many seem hell bent on sending people to places that are NOT side by side, though you seem to think otherwise.

Edited: 29 October 2012, 22:33
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

I would like to know which ferry to the Aran Isles sails from Letterfrack? Inishbofin and Inishturk from Clegan might perhaps be closer options and the sail down Killary fjord.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,361 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

If you have a car, the Slieve League cliffs are more visually appealing to my mind than the cliffs of Moher and not totally over-run by bus tours.

Oh and another thing...the Arans "traditional and unspoilt???? *SNORT again*

Edited: 29 October 2012, 22:40
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

Harvey,

Stop snorting, you'll do yourself an injury

10. Re: Itinerary for a month long trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:16