We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do tomorrow?

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to do tomorrow?

I'm in Kenmare and have nothing specific planned for tomorrow. I drove Beara today including Healy Pass.

So should I:

1- Browse around Beara some more, never did get all the way to Dursey today?

2- Drive part of the ROK?

3- take it easy and explore Kenmare along with the standing stones?

4- drive out to Mizen head?

5- open to other suggestions?

I plan to do Killarney NP on the way up to Dingle but that is a possibility as well.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do tomorrow?

Try something not in many guide books.

http://www.gleninchaquin.com/

Dursey if the weather is right or the Sheeps Head/Mizen peninsula's

Glad you are enjoying yoyself so far

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do tomorrow?

I would do 2 and 3.

The standing stones are right in town and will take 15 minutes (max) to see.

Head out along the ROK towards Sneem. Stop to see the amazing ring fort, Staigue Fort, there. Then continue on toward Cahirdaniel and stop at Derrynane, the home of Daniel O'Connell. (It's a Heritage site, in case you purchased a Heritage Card). You can see a film about O'Connell and tour his home. There are also a couple of interesting, easy walking trails here--one along the beach and another to Abbey Island, although it may be closed off due to high tides (full moon). If you have time, you can continue along the ROK or head back to Kenmare.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do tomorrow?

As Scarlett would say, "I'll think about that tomorrow"! Thanks so much for both the suggestions. I will see how I feel in the morning. I could use an easy day tomorrow.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do tomorrow?

Hope the weather was good on Beara. It was certainly beautiful here today with sunny blue skies and still clear air. You could see for miles.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
827 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do tomorrow?

Hello. The idea of driving out to Mizen Head is awesome. Some great scenery, and if you are into lighthouses, this is a not to miss. You can definitely find someplace to get a good bowl of seafood chowder for lunch. The ROK is also cool, so you can't miss, but you say only part? Is it the northern part or southern. If you are coming from the bottom? Visit Stague Fort. Very cool. Have you seen the stone circle in Kenmare? A nice walk up from the ville, worth seeing. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Edited: 27 October 2012, 23:39
Canada
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do tomorrow?

Stone circles were disappointing after I saw the ones near Skibbereen. I was like you, after Beara should I do RoK. I decided to try what Longhornd suggested. Would be a shame to be that close to ROK and not see for yourself what people either rave about or pan!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do tomorrow?

Karen, if you need an easy day, just explore Kenmare and talk to the people at the Street Market Find out if the Kenmare Bay Cruise is runing.....if so, that's a nice relaxing trip

different folks have different reactions to the Stone Circle. I had a very positive, strong feeling there.

Ah, I hope you manage to get to Jam before you leave Kenmare

Drive to the town and if it's running, take the boat ( short protected ride) out to see the beautiful tropic gardens out on Garinish

Ellen

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do tomorrow?

FLEllen you know I think I passed that coming back to town from Beara yesterday day and was going to look into it.

Soonas- Yesterday was glorious! Couldn't have asked for more perfect weather. It is looking kind of gray and breezy out this morning.

Thanks mathlady and nursedude. Both good suggestions. So much to do and so little time and energy.

I definitely want to walk up to the circle. I could use an easy day today. Not really into driving too far.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do tomorrow?

Hey kajo!

I returned from Ireland yesterday: what a fabulous day, weather-wise! We left east Clare early morning just as the sun was rising and the fields were covered in frost. It was incredibly beautiful and made me all the more miserable to be leaving !

Hope you're enjoying your stay in Kenmare - and I second FloridaEllenB's recommendation of Jam: yummy food!

I think I saw you mention possibly visiting Burren Birds of Prey when you're in west Clare. Do go! We spent 2 days there with Jamie, who was working on his own last week. We had a fantastic time. Do walk up to the Cave and have a spot of lunch; the vegetable soup is delicious (€4.50), and the fruit cake is the best I've ever tasted - especially with a pack of Kerrygold spread on top! Soup and cake are made by the ladies who work in the cafe; they're really sweet.

Please say "hallo" from Sue in Guernsey :-)

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do tomorrow?

You sound a bit weary;give yourself an easy day in Kenmare.