We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etiquette on crowded sidewalk - left or right

new orleans
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Etiquette on crowded sidewalk - left or right

On a crowded pathway, be it a sidewalk, corridor, etc, what is the proper etiquitte when passing an oncoming pedestrian? Pass each other on each's left? My tendency is to pass to the oncoming person's right, or on a narrow path, pause and allow the oncoming person to pass on my left, but I wonder, if the reverse is true, like driving on the left instead of the right as in the U.S. Should the flow of pedestrian traffic follow the same rules of the road, so to speak?

Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
673 reviews
from US$81.00*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour and Galway from...
538 reviews
from US$56.10*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,203 reviews
from US$62.30*
Best Seller
Blarney Castle and Cork Day Trip from...
1,055 reviews
from US$68.50*
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Etiquette on crowded sidewalk - left or right

What's a footpath?

(In Ventry, it's keep in by the ditch and face the traffic)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Etiquette on crowded sidewalk - left or right

Lol Soonas, and just to clarify further, in Ireland a ditch is the hedgerow, not necessarily the channel in the ground!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,668 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Etiquette on crowded sidewalk - left or right

bryno you made me laugh out loud....i have to admit i had never even given the situation a single thought and now that i have i agree with kilted2.....

14. Re: Etiquette on crowded sidewalk - left or right

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:16