We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More car rental questions

boston ma
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
More car rental questions

Everyone has been warning me of the excessive collision damage waiver charges that must be paid on car rentals in Ireland. According to one web site, certain Platinum Master Cards allow for waivers of these charges but so far I haven't been able to find one. I checked with Chase and they tell me that although these waivers are standard on their cards, they NEVER apply to rentals in Ireland. Has anyone had any luck in obtaining such a waiver? Someone recently told me that the additional insurance can often exceed the cost of the car rental itself!

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More car rental questions

Hi Barbie. Nice outfit. :-). Beside post a new topic(LOL) in Ireland forums, you could search for car rental. I bumped up a thread to the top from Bkrusen which explains alot. Cheers.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More car rental questions

I had written on this in a prior post not too long ago. Car rentals in Ireland are tricky business. I dont care what others say, you really do need the added insurance. I know it will put a lot ot the final cost of the car you rent but it's peace of mind! I did a lot of research on it and you'll be hard pressed to find any credit card company in the States who will provide you with the sort of protection for car rentals that you get at home.

In fact when I told them that I thought my card DID provide me with coverage (which I was wrong they didnt) the car company told me they would charge me the full amount of any repairs on my card and it would be up to me to take it up with the credit card company.

Not only that even IF you dont have any fender benders or minor scratches from the car to be at their whim to have them ding your credit card from the $1000 deductible they are going to charge you with, it's really not worth the headache. Ive heard of people returning cars in the exact same condition and being charged for marks that other people made.

My car that I got there were so many minor scratches there would be no way to document all of them. THe car looked "okay" but there were loads of little blemishes.

The main thing is to get the insurance and when you receive the car make sure there are no cracks in the windshield and the tires look good.Those are the things your deductible wont cover.

Also, get the automatic especially if you've never drive over there before and don't know what to expect.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More car rental questions

barbie, i have rented cars numerous times and i highly recommend the super cdw...just because i don't want them deducting anything on my card after i leave, and it DOES NOT double your rental....the cost, depending on your rental company choice will be anywhere from 8E-14E and for a ten day trips that is 80-140 extra....a cheap price to pay to have a $1000-1400 hold on your card, i want that money to spend while i am there....hehehehe...

i too have checked with all five of my credit card companies and none of them will cover the republic or northern ireland....i think i have mentioned this before, 2 of my card companies said they had had too many complaints about bogus charges being made by rental car companies to travelers cards after returning home from ireland....

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More car rental questions

Oma

It would depend on the car to depend on if it doubles the cost when the super cdw is purchased.

On Dooley right now you can see a manual ford fiesta the base rate for a week is $64.91 Adding the super cdl tacks on another $107.52 so that would more then double the base price.

Whereas you get a Ford Fiesta Automatic for the basic rental price of $239.73 for the week and the super cdw will set you back $134.40

It all depends a lot on the rentals and what you get.

You rent a Group H Mercedes and the super cdw will cost you the same as the Ford Fiesta Automatic.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More car rental questions

nora, wow, i have never gotten a rental car of any kind for $9.27 a day and i promise you that in all of my years traveling to ireland i have not even gotten close to that.....wish i was going now so i could get that price...that is fantastic...

last year in may we were there for 17 days but didn't pick the car up for 3 of those days and we paid $448 for the car and $112 for the super cdw and i thought that was great.....but this price is unbelievable....this was with argus...

the year before with dooley i paid about the same for the rental but the super cdw was 10E a day i believe....

now you will have be checking rental prices everyday and booking way ahead for my next trip because i promise this is not the norm for car rental in ireland, 5 years ago yes but not today....

thanks for the info......

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More car rental questions

Oma,

Yes, I thought it was a great rate too. I didnt opt for the manual transmission car though or I could've got that rate. I was not comfortable driving over there enough to get a manual, next time though perhaps I will. I have been over there many, many times but just always drove my friend's car to the shops or on very brief trips. This time I was driving on my own from Dublin to Belfast and I didn't want to worry about shifting (even though I am very good over here with a stick shift)

Next time I think I'll go for it.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More car rental questions

Automatics should be banned from the roads. You should only drive one if you have a medical ailment.

They are the sin of the lazy. Learn to drive stick. Your car will be lighter because the gear box in autos are very heavy. You will be able to shift up gears quicker and then you can overtake quicker and easier.

In Ireland, if you pass your test driving an Automatic you can only drive Automatic, if you pass driving a Manual you can drive either of the two.

Thats why Autos are more expensive. Little requirment for them in Ireland and the UK.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More car rental questions

oh bertie, ouch ouch ouch! most americans don't drive standard vehicles because our commutes to work are many miles, and the traffic is stop and go for miles sometime....also our expressways have tons of hills and when stopped on the inclines the cars wear your legs out when you have to stop every 2 minutes...trust me when it takes you two hours of stop and go, stop and go, stop and go, to drive 20 miles, an automatic is the way to go....and it can't be because we're lazy, cause we are getting all of this leg work out and sore muscles going to work....now how many lazy people do you know who go to work?......hehehehe.....

just having you on......

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More car rental questions

Hi Bertie. I've held back numerous times from commenting on your opinion on this. I'll just say, different strokes... Cheers.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More car rental questions

Ditto on the comments Boru..........

I learned how to drive with a manual and drove one for many years. I have not had one for a few years though. Most of the nicer cars over here I dont even come with a manual transmission even if you wanted it!