We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

I'm getting way behind on my trip reports. Not enough time and energy. This should be a fairly short one.

Up and out early today, the continental breakfast at Butler Court Guesthouse, may not be the norm but it does have one advantage in that guest can eat breakfast when it is convienienant to them or do like I did and just get on the road a bit earlier.

That moment when you come around the bend and there it is in all its glory is a thing never to be forgotten. Even with the scaffolding up for restoration it is an awe inspiring sight.

Jackie (my GPS) got me to Cashel (pronounced Cash-schill) just fine but once again let me down in Cashel itself. I had a devil of a time trying to find where the turn off was for the Rock. I could SEE it, you really can't miss it but the road up was proving elusive.

By this time I was starved and figured my low blood sugar wasn't helping any so I parked the car park in town asked a lady who was at the self pay kiosk where would be a good place to eat. She directed me to the Bakery. There is a bake shop on the ground floor and a busy cafeteria style cafe on the first. Had a cup of tea and their 'small' breakfast. A egg, bacon, sausage, tomato and 4 huge slices of toast with butter and jam. It was all very good. Only managed to eat about 11/2 pieces of the toast. Also picked up a scone to munch on later. It was good as well.

Got directions to road up to the Rock. Yeah, success! I finally found it. Use my OPW Heritage Pass. Admission is €6 adults, €4 seniors and €2 children. I think I am at the break even mark with this site. From here on out the places I will visit will basically be free.

The have a good video which I think is worth the time to watch. It was bitterly cold and windy up on the hill so I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the self tour of the ROC. I wish I hadn't been freezing so I could have spent more time there. I got a few good photos (well for me and my little point and shoot anyway) but unfortunately the iPad seems to take forever to up load them to Picasa so I will have to share them later.

On to Cahir Castle.

Had no problem finding Cahir Castle. Jackie led me right to it. The approach to Cahir (pronounced Kare) is the total opposite of the approach to Cashel. With Cashel you see it standing proud for miles before you even get close, however Cahir almost hidden. You go round the corner an for a second you wonder wher the castle is and then you realise it is right in front of you.

Located on the river Nore this was another strong hold of the Bulters, of Kilkenny Castle fame. They too have short video of the castle's history. Here you can do a self-guided tour or take a guided one. Time was marching on and I had many miles/kilometres to go before I rest today so I just look around a bit on my own.

Admission is pretty inexpensive for this site adults €3, seniors €2, children €1. I am now +€2 on my heritage card!

Rolled into Kenmare about 4:30pm. Tired but had a good, if cold, day.

I will end here and do all of my stay in Kenmare in one report.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

Another great report, kajo50 :-)

And I know what you mean about the view; even though I've seen the Rock several times, it never ceases to fill me with awe when I first set eyes on it.

I look forward to reading about your stay in Kenmare.

:-)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

The server went down just as I was going to review this so I never got to proof this before it posted. Please forgive the vagueness of that 3rd paragraph and any other grammar/spelling/typos mistakes I made.

Thanks Sarnia. It really was an awesome sight.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

I agree about Cashel. Before the motorway was built, the main Dublin to Cork Road passed through the town, and every time you swept roound the bend by the old Cashel Kings hotel, you thought "wow", especially at night when it is floodlit

I remember seeing the Rock from a tour bus for the first time, I was about years old, and I thought, "I bet dragons used to live up there."

Thanks for another great report, Karen, and for evoking some dormant but wonderful memories

Edited: 30 October 2012, 17:00
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

Thank you and you are welcome Soonas. I'm in your neck of the woods now.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

Pleased all is going well ;-)

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

Karen, another great report So very glad to see you posting--was starting to get concerned

Loved your "little" breakfast

Ellen

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

Ooooh Karen - hope you're enjoying your stay in one of my favourite areas of Ireland :-)

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

HI Kajo, a very enjoyable trip report as usual.

I know exactly what you mean about Cashel. We drove around in circles last year trying to find our way on to the motorway heading towards Kilkenny.

We knew our way very well before the motorway was built:-)

Enjoy Kenmare and hope it's not too cold.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

Thanks for the trip reports. Just to clarify, Cahir is on the Suir, not the Nore. You are confusing it with Kilkenny which is on the Nore.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Kilkenny to Kenmare via Rock of Cashel and Cahir

Loved this report kajo especially as I visit Cahir and Cashel only a week ago! :)