We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

May not really matter, but I am curious what the advice would be for our two weeks in the Southwest based on the following info:

We (my husband and I) are flying in and out of Shannon the end of May/beginning of June, and plan to tour in and around the Cork area, and in and around the three peninsulas (Beara, ROK, Dingle). We arrive in the morning after an overnight flight from the US. Should we head to the Dingle or Cork area first?

I know a first day drive of about three hours or so is doable, as we went from Shannon to Westport last spring. Wesport was a great choice because it wasn't too busy a place to drive through when first arriving; we had parking available at the place we stayed so searching for parking wasn't an issue; we crashed for a bit in the afternoon and then enjoyed walking around the town; and we had a great place for starting fresh for our next full day in the same area.

So what do you think? We can't wait, and I think a lot of the fun is in the planning here on Tripadvisor. Thanks so much.

Buggie

Edited: 11 November 2012, 02:33
Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

Sorry, this should have been posted in the Western Ireland forum.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

It is a large area to cover from one base.... Kenmare could be used as a base for a week with the other week split between somewhere on the south cork coast (dont forget the sheeps head and mizen peninsula's) and a couple of days for dingle. No problem posting on the Ireland forum.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g775193-i20379-k459…

http://farmerstravel.wordpress.com/

http://www.mizenhead.net/

http://www.thesheepshead.com/

http://www.capeclearferries.com/

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

Is the choice between Dingle and Cork City for the first night. Cork City is closer and the road is better, but would be more challenging once you get there because if traffic volume and one-way streets.

An option might be East Cork if you're intending to include it. It's mostly the same road as Cork City anyway. The area has a number of visitable attractions between Cobh, Midleton and to a lesser extent Youghal and Ballycotton.

If you're going to include Limerick City in your trip, I would say that's the best option for the first night.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

I suggest you stay somewhere on the road towards Dingle from Shannon. Adare would be a good choice, it's a bit touristy, but would be good for an overnight.It also means you don't get caught up in Limerick city traffic. you can take the tunnel to avoid the city. I like east Cork, but it's a bit out of your way on this trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

Thanks so much for the advice everyone; great links Tony. Excited about this trip although we loved Mayo, Donegal etc.last April so much it`s hard think of being in Ireland and not going back to that beautiful part of the country. Just did some research and found my husband`s great-great grandfather was born in Tyrone in 1824, showing up on the US Census in 1850 in Sherborn, MA. Hubby now wants to go back North to fill in the blank. But it's Southwest this time and I am sure we`ll enjoy it.

Buggie

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

It may look small on a map but there is a lot to Ireland. Many people just see one part and decide there is nowhere else. Having seen some of my favourite parts last time Its a good move to see somewhere different, The South west and Northwest have a lot in common but a lot of differences as well It is only reasonable to see more than a small part before you can truly decide your favourite part and places that just don't rock your boat for one reason or another. Don't aim to drive too far on the first day and you will be fine whichever route you take.

7. Re: looping Cork, Beara, ROK, Dingle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 10:15